Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

Penn State Ticket Sales and Concessions 2014 Season

Penn State fans impact.  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How much money do you think Penn State brought in from wrestling ticket sales and concessions during the 2014 National Championship season?

• Less than $100,000
    • More than $200,000, less than $300,000
    • More than $300,000, less than $400,000
    • More than $400,000, less than $500,000
    • More than $500,000, less than $600,000
    • More than $600,000, less than $700,000
    • More than $700,000, less than $800,000
    • More than $800,000, less than $900,000
    • More than $900,000
  2. 2. At current funding levels, how many Division-I schools could cover their total cost of operating their wrestling program if they generated the ticket sales and concessions Penn State generated in the 2014 season?

• Less than 10
    • Between 10 & 19
    • Between 20 & 29
    • Between 30 & 39
    • Between 40 & 49
    • Between 50 & 59
    • Between 60 & 69
    • Nearly all Division-I programs (more than 70)

OK going off of 8 home matches on the 13/14 schedule.  Lets just say every match was at BJC and sold out (huge stretch) and ticket prices averaged $20 a ticket (another huge stretch).

That would bring in roughly 2.4 million pre costs.  There is insurance to pay, officials, table workers, custodians, electrical costs, ushers, ticket collectors, ticket office costs, security and on and on and on.  The actual take on that 2.4 million would be lucky if it was over 1.8 million.

Then factor in concessions.  Most universities have outside companies handle all their food service needs from the student cafeterias to the sports concessions.  They provide all the logistics and employed help to run those concessions.  At best, PSU wrestling is getting a percentage but most likely it is going into an all sports fund.  If PSU was getting a percentage, they make get 20% of the profits, not total sales.

But lets go with an unrealistic number and say PSU wrestling makes 100,000 from concessions.  That is a total profit of 1.9 million which would barely fund PSU wrestling. 

I put PSU wrestling's actual profits from ticket and concessions at 500,000 at best.

But the PSU 13/14 season actual profits would not fully fund Lock Haven.  For LHU you would need at the minumum $180,000 for the full 9.9 scholarships, 4 coaches on the staff at a minimum of $300,000.  I put the HC at 85 grand, the 1st assistant at 65 grand, the 2nd assistant at 50 grand and the volunteer at 40 grand (those salaries are way higher than Edinboro's).  Then factor in the healthcare costs, matching funds towards retirements, workmans comp insurances and matching payroll contributions, etc and you get around 300 grand.

That puts LHU at $480,000 annually.  Then you have to add any contribution from the program for an all sports strength trainer, athletic trainers and their supplies, weight lifting equipment, wrestling apparel, travel costs with van rentals, school charter buses, airfare, hotels, meals, new mats in the room every so many years, paying the extra heat costs in the room, hot water for the showers, etc...and that puts LHU well over 500 grand annually.

So in short, the 2013/14 PSU season would not fund the small state school program right down the road from them.

wow, stunning pics. if only more teams would just do exactly what penn state does, D1 wrestling would be just fine. 

Wrestling would be improved if other schools did HALF of what Penn State dual meet wrestling accomplishes. 

I suppose we should have a better definition of "Money" since there is much more than just ticket sales and concessions here. Some of these schools make quite a bit of cash on camps, clinics, memorabilia, and other non-event related items. Much of this is shared revenue but it still had to be counted.   

Also often times things like insurance, officials, trainers, etc. are paid for out of "generic funds" which cover multiple sports. It's going to depend upon the exact structure of the athletic program how much could be considered specifically wrestling related.

Another thing which will be difficult to characterize based upon currently available data is the TV money from the BIG 10 network. To the best of my knowledge the payments to the schools are not "sport specific" so determining how much is generated by wrestling would take some form of formula based upon the number of events and possible factoring in viewership. And of course the direct payment for internet viewership. I have never seen that data reported anywhere.    

Wrestling would be improved if other schools did HALF of what Penn State dual meet wrestling accomplishes. 

Yep...it would definitely help if a school was willing to pay six figures for not only big name coaches but for assistants as well but then again, there are very few big name coaches out there in the middle of a big wrestling state.

I was at the Iowa match at BJC last year and it was by far the best wrestling experience I've ever seen.  I have also been to Rec Hall many times in the past (6+ years ago) and was some of the most boring wrestling experiences I've ever seen so it is all relative.

While reading 99% of PSU posts on here are virtually intolerable, it is difficult to argue against the point behind this thread.

Getting relevant attendance at your duals and tournaments is the single biggest issue I have with the majority of DI coaches.

Too many of them think they should get blind loyalty from their fans.  

While Happy Valley was dying to explode on the sport and someone with a great reputation and can actually coach at a high level like Cael can, you still have to give credit where it is due.

The elephant in the room continues to be too many D1 coaches thinking their job ends after in room coaching and recruiting.

Those photos really are amazing. 

Doesn't PSU sell-out all of its home duals? I don't know how the athletic dept schedules wrestling matches between BJC and Rec Hall -- I think 7 out of 8 events last season were at Rec Hall (less than half the seating capacity of BJC) -- but it seems like wrestling could pull in so much more revenue if they'd book the duals booked in BJC. To hell with the basketball teams, make them play in Rec Hall! :)

Also, not to instigate more PSU vs. Iowa talk, but I wonder how the Penn State ticket & concession numbers fare against CHA in Iowa...

Doesn't PSU sell-out all of its home duals? I don't know how the athletic dept schedules wrestling matches between BJC and Rec Hall -- I think 7 out of 8 events last season were at Rec Hall (less than half the seating capacity of BJC) -- but it seems like wrestling could pull in so much more revenue if they'd book the duals booked in BJC. To hell with the basketball teams, make them play in Rec Hall! :)

Also, not to instigate more PSU vs. Iowa talk, but I wonder how the Penn State ticket & concession numbers fare against CHA in Iowa...

Sellout is a very loose term.  I was at a Rec Hall match against Lehigh a few years ago and PSU was the defending national champions and it was far from sold out.

Sellout is a very loose term.  I was at a Rec Hall match against Lehigh a few years ago and PSU was the defending national champions and it was far from sold out.

:D  

Gotcha. Is it like: "the venue is sold-out!! ... except for that one big bleacher section that we've covered with a black tarp!"?  I think I read somewhere that PSU sold-out something like 27 straight home matches, which is still makes for some nice numbers with tickets at $15-16 a pop.  Comparatively, I went to Northwestern during the Jake Herbert years (hi, Tofurkey!) and remember the visiting Iowa fans wondering aloud why Welsh-Ryan arena was so quiet and sparse!

The Answers...

Penn State: $218k from Ticket Sales and $58k from Concessions.

That's slightly more than what Sacred Heard and Davidson each spend on wrestling. (Could only fund one of them.)

Iowa generates significantly more money (around $550k) from these two sources.

Yes, there are other sources of income but if the team were a for-profit entity, these would be the primary sources of revenue so I wanted to isolate for those.

For instance, Penn State's Wrestling Endowment is likely around $5MM based on the annual income it generates. This means that Franklin & Marshall's wrestling endowment is likely larger than Penn State's wrestling endowment (thanks to the Lehman gift this past year).

Edited by Pinnum

How about A QUARTER? Would that make a difference?

You mean, like the top 15 or 20 teams in the country attracting fans to dual meets that had national championship implications?

Yeah, I think that would do a lot to help the health of the sport which would permiate through all programs.

(Mobile)

Penn State Athletics does not own the BJC.  It's run by an events group unaffiliated with Athletics, primarily to set up concerts.  Except for hoops **, all athletics teams using the BJC must pay a sizable facility fee.  The break-even point is about 11-12k adults.  Iowa, sure.  Indiana or Michigan State, with alums driving 3+ hrs from Philly or Pittsburgh in a Feb ice storm ... decent chance at a financial loss.

Without doing the actual math:  thanks to that facility fee, the BJC Iowa dual may have been less profitable than any match at Rec (which is owned by Athletics, thus no rental costs).

What PSU Wrestling does get out of the BJC duals is a big event for its fans, plus great publicity.  Both of these disappear with frequency.  And, while the BJC is fun when full, it can be sterile and lifeless when 2/3 full.

** This is the devil's deal PSU made with Harrisburg in the 1990s to get funding to build the BJC.  PSU's admission to the B10 was conditional upon a new basketball arena.  Hbg wasn't about to just give PSU an arena that would sit empty or nearly empty most nights of the year ...