Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Cael Sanderson on Recruiting "It's About Putting the Time In"

There is a ton of behind the scenes to recruiting that I have little clue about. Not only do colleges have to sell themselves to the stars, but imagine the work the non superstars have to put in to get even just one school to give them a chance at some scholarship money?

Smaller, lesser known schools have a much harder strain.

But seriously. If you are ranked top 5 at your weight in the nation and have serious goals for college and beyond, chances are you are looking at only a handful of schools anyway.

After that it comes down to money, the actual school, academics, coaching staff, distance from home you are comfortable with, training partners and chances of starting 4 years.

If I was a blue chip junior, wanted to eventually become a coach, didn't care about academics and distance didn't matter I guess I would only be looking at PSU, Cornell, Iowa, tOSU, OSU and maybe Arizona State.

If you aren't highly recruited, this is a rough experience for the athlete.  My son was a lightly recruited kid out of HS two years ago, consequently we didn't even try to contact the elite tier of schools. Most of the ones that we did pursue wouldn't even return a call.  Interestingly, a sizable number of those coaches are no longer in the business and I was left with the distinct impression that many coaches are very lazy and complacent.  The ones that did return calls were successful(~10-30 ranking).  At any rate, we worked hard and my son found a nice home just two hours away.  I am happy to say he is doing well on and off the mat.

Edited by Plasmodium