Sign in to follow this  
PANewbie

Dr Peppelman charged with punching a cop...

I take it this is Walter (Who wrestled for Harvard) and Marshall's (Cornell/Lehigh) Dad?   Not really a black eye on the wrestling community then.  Our parents aren't us and sometimes it's very possible that a son/daughter will act more mature than their parent.

I'd like to know what really happened here.   With so many corrupt cops running rampant, operating seemingly with impunity, one has to feel fortunate for Dr Pepplemen.   

Cletus, did you actually read the article?  There was no suggestion of any incorrect procedure by the law enforcement officer.  Granted there are some bad cops out there, but suggesting that all cops are like that, or that such was the case here, is way out of line, IMO.

On the other hand, from the two news reports I had seen - it does seem likely that the accused was a little out of control, to say the least.  I wouldn't generalize either that such behavior would be typical for surgeons or wrestlers' dads.

I have to guess Dr. Peppelman was fortunate here.*

1) You admit to drinking and driving, and you allegedly chest bump a cop, and allegedly punch him in the head.

2) The cop drops your aggravated assault charge. 

3) You get no jail time.   

4) Your lawyer says your medical license is unlikely to be revoked or suspended.

*I don't know the facts, so this case could very well have turned out just the same for anyone else. For example, things might have turned out just the same for a 24 year-old black male who admitted to drinking and driving, and who allegedly punched a cop in the head. So for now I will assume the consequences Dr. Peppelman is facing would be the same for anyone else in his situation. 

Edited by Katie

Katie,

Ridiculous comments without knowing the actual details. Cops rarely drop that type of assault charge. A lot more went into his decision than the guy being old and white. I am sure his record was sparkling clean and they talked out what happened.

I have to guess Dr. Peppelman was fortunate here.*

1) The cop drops your aggravated assault charge. 

2) You get no jail time.   

3) Your lawyer says your medical license is unlikely to be revoked or suspended.

*I don't know the facts, so this case could very well have turned out just the same if a 24 year-old black male from an impoverished community admitted to drinking and driving and allegedly chest bumped and punched a cop in the head. So for now I will assume the consequences Dr. Peppelman is facing would be the same for anyone else in his situation. 

And add to that he didn't deny it and boy does it seem like the guys got issues. He's a surgeon? Would you want a guy with drinking problems and rage issues operating on your spine?

Katie,

Ridiculous comments without knowing the actual details. Cops rarely drop that type of assault charge. A lot more went into his decision than the guy being old and white. I am sure his record was sparkling clean and they talked out what happened.

I didn't say Dr. Peppelman's age and race were the only factors here, or even most important ones, or even factors at all. 

But I don't want to be misinterpreted so I edited my post. 

If this was a black man represented by a public defender with the same facts, he would be in jail for at least a year, maybe more. 

If it was a regular old guy of any race with no money and thus needing a public defender it would be the same outcome.  You and some other choice people on here are lucky they don't give 1 year jail terms for stupid message board posting. 

If this was a black man represented by a public defender with the same facts, he would be in jail for at least a year, maybe more.

Most probably if he were a poor man of any skin pigmentation, he would be in jail.

Cletus, did you actually read the article?  There was no suggestion of any incorrect procedure by the law enforcement officer.  Granted there are some bad cops out there, but suggesting that all cops are like that, or that such was the case here, is way out of line, IMO.

On the other hand, from the two news reports I had seen - it does seem likely that the accused was a little out of control, to say the least.  I wouldn't generalize either that such behavior would be typical for surgeons or wrestlers' dads.

I read the article redblades.    All I said is I'd like to know what actually happened.   Why did a cop who was punched in the head by a drunk drop the charges?  What are we not being told?  What did Dr Peppleman's team discover about the cop during their investigation?  Lets not pretend like cops are all good and here to help protect us.   We're talking about a criminally corrupt institution from top to bottom.  It's an us against them mentality which prevails.   They are taught this in the academy.  The filthy swine abuse people daily.    I'd like to know what came out that cleared Peppleman from a year in jail.   

I read the article redblades.    All I said is I'd like to know what actually happened.   Why did a cop who was punched in the head by a drunk drop the charges?  What are we not being told?  What did Dr Peppleman's team discover about the cop during their investigation?  Lets not pretend like cops are all good and here to help protect us.   We're talking about a criminally corrupt institution from top to bottom.  It's an us against them mentality which prevails.   They are taught this in the academy.  The filthy swine abuse people daily.    I'd like to know what came out that cleared Peppleman from a year in jail.   

If you really do want to know more - here's an article published a month earlier, (linked from the article listed in the OP).  This gives more detail what happened:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2015/04/assault_police_officer_road_ra.html

Again, from what I read - no indication of any police misconduct whatsoever.  Sounds to me that the responding officers were just doing there job.  As for charges being dropped/reduced - really, ya'll are blowing this out of proportion.  It's a simple case of public intoxication and disorderly conduct.  I'm no lawyer, but seems to me I've heard of numerous cases where no jail time is given for such offenses.

yeah he didnt get sent to jail just cuz he is old and white but can you imagine if someone like ed ruth was charged with being drunk and striking a police officer

oh wait forget it

If it was a regular old guy of any race with no money and thus needing a public defender it would be the same outcome.  You and some other choice people on here are lucky they don't give 1 year jail terms for stupid message board posting. 

Well since I am an attorney, you would think that would lend some credibility to my statement but you go on calling my post stupid although I'd be curious as to what your expertise is other then possessing a low I.Q. redneck mentality? Simple fact is that race matters in how things play out in our criminal justice system just like being poor.  This in undeniable.  

Redblades, did you miss the part where he punched the cop or are you being obtuse? The fact that charge was dropped was part of my point. 

In regard to Ed Ruth, if he was white, he wouldn't of been harassed for just asking to use a phone.  

Ultimately, MadMar is correct, this thread doesn't belong on this forum. It serves no purpose other then to embarrass the Peppleman boys and they did nothing wrong. I should of just kept my opinion to myself and hope it would drop down the page. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Dr. Peppelman was treated justly, so he who has not sinned......

Unfortunately and as many have pointed out, others aren't treated quite so justly  He would be serving a long sentence if he didn't have resources and social standing. Also hard to imagine him not getting the tar beat out of him for what he did to the cop that day.  The officer gets humanity credits there.

Edited by Plasmodium

Redblades, did you miss the part where he punched the cop or are you being obtuse? The fact that charge was dropped was part of my point. 

You are an attorney!?  Well then surely you have heard the old saw - "When the Law is on your side, pound the Law... When the facts are on your side, pound the facts... And when niether is on your side - pound the table and call people names!" ;-P

I work as a public defender. It's not guaranteed that a poor black guy would get significant jail time out of this situation, but it's hell of a lot more likely, since private attorneys DEFINITELY get better offers. However, charges like Assault or Battery on a LEO get dropped all the time because A. They are often complete bull or B. Cops,don't like to admit they were afraid and/or beat up, especially the fear part since it's often an element of the crime.

A lot of prosecutors will also often throw these charges in even though they know they have no shot at proving as negotiation tools, since they can offer to drop them as part of a plea to the less serious crimes by getting rid of the felonies which scare people a lot more often. Therefore, people are grateful to have the scarier charges dropped and just plead out to the lessers.

Edited by VakAttack

Well since I am an attorney, you would think that would lend some credibility to my statement but you go on calling my post stupid although I'd be curious as to what your expertise is other then possessing a low I.Q. redneck mentality? Simple fact is that race matters in how things play out in our criminal justice system just like being poor.  This in undeniable.  

In regard to Ed Ruth, if he was white, he wouldn't of been harassed for just asking to use a phone.  

Ultimately, MadMar is correct, this thread doesn't belong on this forum. It serves no purpose other then to embarrass the Peppleman boys and they did nothing wrong. I should of just kept my opinion to myself and hope it would drop down the page. 

Profession dropping, nice.  I could give a crap if your're an attorney, the original statement you made was sloppy at best.  You should take some notes from Vak on your profession and on message board posting.  LOL at your low IQ redneck comment, not even close.