Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

UWW Cadet Thread

I know the big topic here is Fix and Lee, but did anyone see Gable Stevenson's performance through the tournament? A bigger freshman looking to be a heavy by the end of HS and he gets to the legs non stop. I was thoroughly impressed with how great he looked.

In thinking about Lee-Fix since  LemonPie brings it up, I would be interested in anyone's thoughts on how Cadet-level competitors develop. Here is what I am thinking. Lee is so good that for the most part he has been winning but simply being better. He hasn't really had to fight tooth and nail to scratch out a win where heart and strategy becomes the determining factor.

It would be like if an NCAA champ wrestled the cadet nationals. His skills and physicality would dominate. The mental part of the game would be of much less importance.

According to something I read Lee hadn't lost at all for two years. Judging from his PIAA state tournament and his win by TF in the 2014 Cadet Worlds he really didn't face the kind of significant challengers that would have prepared him well for a match that comes down to grit and heart and strategy. So what might be going on is that as Lee gets older or seeks out older competition he will not be able to win everything simply by running his opponent's over. He will need to start developing those other skills.

Lee was not dominated. I would not count him out, nor do I think anyone else here would. I would also not call him to win vs Fix in a rematch in Freestyle of Folk. I think that Lee's could go back determined to develop so much more technique and so many better moves and defenses and try to prevent a rematch from being close. I think this alone is not the optimal strategy and in any case I doubt it is the one he and his coaches will settle on (why? he just seems too smart for that). I think he will realize he lost that match because he didn't compete well. I think he will realize that he hasn't had to worry about that much till now and will start worrying about it and learning. If so and if he can bring it on (and why not?) then a rematch will be VERY interesting.

I think you are over-thinking this.  If Lee just hand-fights for the last 20 seconds of match 1, vs. attempting to score again, he wins and we may be having a completely different conversation. 

I know the big topic here is Fix and Lee, but did anyone see Gable Stevenson's performance through the tournament? A bigger freshman looking to be a heavy by the end of HS and he gets to the legs non stop. I was thoroughly impressed with how great he looked.

I've seen it today, it was impressive. He goes for takedowns all the way, I watched the round 2, quarters, semi and finals, the majority of his points were from TD, no turns. I'm not against turns, but I really appreciate a takedown-heavy game. I'm really looking forward to his performance on the Cadet Worlds this year.