Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

UWW Cadet Thread

You guys are funny -- Fix looked supremely technical. Looked great. Funny how fans still say their guys wins in the fantasy match. Fix just won 2 in a row. Give him some mega props. Seems like he is on a steep upward trajectory.

Been giving him props since the U.S. Open. It's ok to have an opinion

In my humble opinion I think that it's going to take more than just this match for people to stop thinking of Lee as the next undefeated 4x NCAA champ and the next 6x USA World/Olympic champ. A mere two months ago no one would have bet on Fix to win a single match vs Lee. I think many posting on these boards would have taken an even money bet that Lee would go 10-0, 10-0 vs Fix in a best of three. So people are freaked out a little, maybe not thinking straight as they adjust to a world in which a 2x PA state champ who is 16 years old may have some competition again in his life.

My view? Fix figured something out, got it together and put his enormous potential to its fullest use and essentially leapt ahead of everyone. That's the beauty of this age group. People can do that  easily. Lee is still have a little boy (I don't mean that in a mean-spirited way, I literally mean he has a lot of changing ahead of him in the next few years).

Edited by BigTimeFan

Maybe my last comment was a bit trollish.  Then again some similarities.  A lot of people have always felt Taylor is better than Dake.  A lot of People feel Lee is better than Fix.  Some times a guy just has your number.  Hope these two bring as much excitement as the previous two.  Those were two great matches.  

Maybe my last comment was a bit trollish.  Then again some similarities.  A lot of people have always felt Taylor is better than Dake.  A lot of People feel Lee is better than Fix.  Some times a guy just has your number.  Hope these two bring as much excitement as the previous two.  Those were two great matches.  

I love trolls, never saw the problem with them. These are message boards, not congress! 

I liked your comment. I was thinking something different. I was thinking that maybe it's like Taylor-Stieber and one of these guys might end up much bigger than the other but both are going to have awesome careers.

Fix should grow physically. His dad is around 6' and his mom is really short. I've watched him for 2 years in Oklahoma and he hasn't been tested. Kaden Gfeller was at the same weight in 3A for Heritage Hall, who'll pass by Perry as the top team in 3A this next year. He has more length than Fix, and was at 58kg at this tournament. Don't know that Lee and Fix will be at the same weight classes, but it's great for the USA to have some young studs who can compete successfully in their age groups in international freestyle. Fix lives about 60 miles from Stillwater, so he's in that room with other HS kids regularly. Most Oklahoma kids travel up there regularly, Cody is trying to get some 2 nights at OU and 2 nights at OSU. Give John Smith credit he's worked hard at supporting the cadet and junior national teams in Oklahoma. Mark Cody has done the same thing since taking over at OU. Both coaches are working hard to keep the high school programs producing studs.

The Cadet finals are just about over and I have to say besides Lee Fix, the other guy I really love to watch is Gable Stevenson. I mean he's a guy who comes into the tournament a freshman in high school, a MN state champ and runner up (eight grade). He beats the cadet world silver medalist, #1 guy in his weight Jordan Wood convincingly in the semis and then wins something like 8-1, 10-0 in best out of three. And he can move. He's got moves. He has the same kind of mat savvy and composure that sets Mark Hall apart. And he's a freshman in the upper weights which means he's beating guys older and more mature than him most every time he steps on the mat.

I heard he has the flu............................

Come on.........................................I love my PA guys just as much as the next PA native.  But>>>>>>>> lets not go down the path we did with my most loved of all. (CM) 

Everytime one of ours loses or looks vulnerable, we start blaming other variables.  Back-injuries, back surgery, weight-cut, gassed out, now it's the flu......let's just take ownership here and say one of ours just got his butt kicked, and he will come back stronger.  Instead of making excuses for them, let's just take ownership of the loss.  We're wrestlers....that's the 'wrestlers way'.  

Edited by fanta

Nice wins for Fix, hopefully he can take some of this offense to his Folksyle game. Watching him vs. Yianni a couple months ago was awful and I couldn't help but root against Fix for doing next to nothing and getting away with it. Looks great here - but I agree with some others that Spencer would have taken that in Folk without much issue.

Interesting how both bouts followed the same pattern.  Lee controlled the 1st period as teh clear aggressor and point scorer.  2nd period was jsut the opposite.  Fix controlled the action and looked like the far superior wrestler.  Lee seemed to gas in the 2nd period, especially in the 2nd bout.

Was this strategy by Fix?  Lee just not in as good of shape?  Other?

Fix had a solid game plan. He's significantly bigger than lee and used it to his advantage. He seemed to know when to turn it up and it obviously worked really well for him. He really seems to have the exposure rule in freestyle figured out.

I was being facetious, the flu is the go to excuse around this board and the post I quoted was making excuses. Since I'm from Oklahoma I didn't like that there were excuses being made instead of giving credit to Fix.

Was I making excuses? Saying (asking actually) that a guy was tired because he was nervous is a excuse now? That's new to me.

Fix had a solid game plan. He's significantly bigger than lee and used it to his advantage. He seemed to know when to turn it up and it obviously worked really well for him. He really seems to have the exposure rule in freestyle figured out.

Yes. He essentially hit an 8-point move in the second match