Sign in to follow this  
Bloate

All time favorite wrestler who never won a championship

So many really good wrestlers who couldn't quite get over the hump and win a title. My favorite is early 1980's mid weight Roger Frizzell of Oklahoma. Place 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd. Had the misfortune of competing against Nate Carr and Kenny Monday. Frizzell has gone on to be a successful business executive and was personally involved in the efforts to reinstate wrestling to the Olympics.

Guest Kingsland

Mike McMullan was always one of the most exciting guys at heavy weight. I think he placed 3,2,3,3.

Bryan Snyder, Nebraska. Lost in the finals twice in OT. 

As a wrestler, Snyder ranks No. 1 on Nebraska’s all-time winning percentage chart (.925), compiling a 136-11 record from 1999 to 2002. One of 23 members of Nebraska’s 100-win club, he claimed All-America accolades and a Big 12 championship all four years, while finishing as the NCAA runner-up at 157 pounds in 2001 and 2002.

He amassed more than 30 wins in a season three times, including his 43-3 record as a sophomore that stands as the second-best single-season mark in school history. A four-time NWCA All-Academic selection, Snyder was named the 2002 Nebraska Male Student-Athlete of the Year and was also a four-time first-team academic All-Big 12 selection.

Bryan Snyder, Nebraska. Lost in the finals twice in OT. 

As a wrestler, Snyder ranks No. 1 on Nebraska’s all-time winning percentage chart (.925), compiling a 136-11 record from 1999 to 2002. One of 23 members of Nebraska’s 100-win club, he claimed All-America accolades and a Big 12 championship all four years, while finishing as the NCAA runner-up at 157 pounds in 2001 and 2002.

He amassed more than 30 wins in a season three times, including his 43-3 record as a sophomore that stands as the second-best single-season mark in school history. A four-time NWCA All-Academic selection, Snyder was named the 2002 Nebraska Male Student-Athlete of the Year and was also a four-time first-team academic All-Big 12 selection.

136-11...whoa! I knew he was good, but not that good.

James Greene is one of my personal favorites, a lot of heartbreak in Nebraska it seems.

One of my favorite wrestlers to watch (unaccountably for an Ohio State fan) was Eric Tannenbaum of Michigan.

While there are many 4 time AAs in this sport, my admiration was for the character and class he demonstrated, alongside excellent mat skills. VERY hard not to root for.

I never saw Chad Zaputil wrestle until on video and man he was a beast.  Losing 3x in the finales.

Poeta was another one that was awesome.  So much technique. I still think he had leen beat.  Dont know how that fleeing the mat was called on Poeta.

Jon Trenge.  2x finalist. freshman year could have been also but an almost career ending eye injury prevented him from wrestling in the post season.

I was at the Iowa party after Chad Zaputil lost his Senior year...He was heartbroken..He stood up there and apologized to the Iowa faithful.  Tough kid.

I believe espn did a story a few years ago about Gable.  I think it said Zaputil never winning a title was one of the hardest things in Gable's coaching career.

Losing to Prescott 2x and then Henson his senior year.  I wish I could find more matches of Zaputil.  He was just a tough kid.

Bob Fehrs is one of the great heartbreak near misses of all time. His misfortune that Mr Caruso populated the same space in time!

"On the surface, Fehrs’ college wrestling story ends in

disappointment. As a sophomore, the 123-pound standout lost to Lehigh’s Mike Caruso in the 1965 NCAA tournament finals, 8-5.

As a junior, he lost to Caruso in the finals a second time, 9-6.

As a senior, Fehrs nearly pulled off the upset, but dropped a 7-6 match when Caruso secured riding time."

http://www.mhskids.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Caruso-Fehrs.pdf

I agree on Fehrs, and that article in the link is quite good.  

I was at Kent State that year to see my first nationals as a hs senior, and the description of the match is spot on.   The picture in the article is one of my favorite all-time photographs and speaks volumes about wrestling as a sport and what it means to wrestle. 

Darren McKnight of MSU.  I know most are picking 4X AA's who just missed, but I think this kid deserved some kudos.  Wrestled a brutal schedule at an even more brutal weight.  Judging a wrestler's heart is very objective, but he was one of the last MSU guys I remember killing themselves every second of every match.  If there was ever someone I could go back and get on the podium(other than me of course), it was him.