Sign in to follow this  
CaliWrestler

Who do you have for world team and who places at Worlds

That taking it easy mentality died in college.    Brent learned the hard way against the North Carolina State kid when he tried mailing it in at NCAAs and then weeks later at the open when the national champ out placed Brent and his coach in freestyle.

Since then, Brent's been on a 5 year mission to win multiple Olympic golds and everything in between.    It hasn't quite worked out but it has gotten him on the US world team now that the the rules adjusted and the weight class shrunk.    I think he has this last run in him and I don't see anyone in the depleted weight class who is going to challenge him.   Next year is the problem when presumably all the big guns will be in the show for the Olympic spot.   Lets go Brent!   

oh good... more anti-Metcalf venom from suzie=cletus

Even including a vintage quote about Caldwell placing higher than Brent's FS coach (Frayer), and closing with a "Let's go Brent!".... classic verbatim suzie  LOL!

Since then, Brent's been on a 5 year mission to win multiple Olympic golds and everything in between.    It hasn't quite worked out but it has gotten him on the US world team now that the the rules adjusted and the weight class shrunk.   

Metcalf made his first two world teams under the old weight class and old rules with the best of three periods. Now have the changes helped Metcalf? Sure, but its not like he was necessarily struggling before hand. Metcalf has lost 6 matches to wrestlers in the United States since 2010 and they all came under the old rules at the old weight class. He has hree losses to Teyon Ware in 2011 (1 @ Open, 2 @ WTT) then 2 losses to Frayer in the best of three at the 2012 OTT and then one very controversial and weird loss to Jordan Oliver at the 2013 Open.

I think Ruth over Herbert. I rewatched their match and I think his shoulder was part of the problem. I see a few instances where it surely looks like Ruth was not able to defend because of shoulder issues. He definitely hurt it at the World Cup, he definitely didn't whine or complain or explain, but that's what I saw. So if I'm right and if it heals more (big IFs on both) then I think we are see a very different outcome. Also, don't forget 2014 where Ruth lost in the US Open and won in the trials. He's capable of that. 

Colon. Will manhandle Ramos  DNP

Hump   5th

Metcalf He is just to prepared for Oliver to win Bronze/5th

Marable Will be a barnburner against Dustin DNP

Burroughs Feel sorry for Dake and Taylor  Gold

Ruth Will get by Herbert in close matches   5th

Varner I think he gets it done comfortably against Snyder. He needed that loss. The mini final against Cox or Bergman should be tight as well. Silver to 5th. Gads other side could get silver.  

Tervel. No challenge here. Silver/Bronze

That is a pretty great team!

Edited by PRyan2012

Was it Frayer?  I thought it was Schwab.   

My memory isn't too good Rosie, getting up there in age now.    

You may be right cletus=suzie, I think it was Schwab. My memory sometimes fails me too.

Thanks for the constructive post, without an accompanying insult even!

You may be right cletus=suzie, I think it was Schwab. My memory sometimes fails me too.

Thanks for the constructive post, without an accompanying insult even!

Rosie, it's really foggy,  I really don't remember.  

He may have beat all 3 of them in the same afternoon, I really can't recall.   That van ride back to Iowa City must have been uncomfortably quiet though, I'll tell you that much.   

Brent has really cleaned up his act since then, and as a result he is now one of my favorites.    

Can he win the US spot and finally win a medal at worlds?  I'll be pulling for him, but after crapping the bed so many times, I'm not going to let my emotions get too vested.

I'll be at worlds Rosie, look me up in the nearly empty arena and I'll buy you a cold one.    Consider it an olive branch.

Ramos - he's proven he's the guy here. If Colon makes it to the finals I could see him giving Ramos a good run and possible end up representing us. I think both win a match or two but don't expect a medal at this weight. 

Maple - Will bounce back and surprised some again. The Maple of old seems to be back. 5th at best.

Metcalf -  I have said many times before I would love to see someone else here, but after the gauntlet of a mini tourney at this weight I don't see anyone getting through without some dings. A fresh Metcalf is not who you want to wrestle being beat up and tired. I would really like to see a Stieber/Metcalf series in the finals. No medal at Worlds again, but hopefully Metcalf can shut me up (I wouldn't be upset).

Schlatter  - He should have won against Marable IMO, the scoring was pretty suspect. I think Schlatter is out man and he is a lot more exciting to watch wrestle than Marable. Possibly 5th place finish.

Burroughs - I look forward to what I expect to be Dake Vs. Taylor 16 (or whatever we're up to now). I think both will push Burroughs in the finals but the champ is the champ. Gold at World's.

Ruth - I think he comes back to win the starting spot. Either him or Herbert are good choices for the US. Best case I can see either guy walking away with a bronze.

Snyder - I bet he faces Varner in the finals, but hopefully Snyder is our guy. Not often you root against an olympic Gold, but Varner is a snooze to watch. Bronze for Snyder at best.

Bradley - Figured I'd pick someone nobody else has. He owns a win over Dlagnev, so I'm going with him as my wildcard started. If he is really on maybe a bronze finish, but more than likely 5th.

Lots of talent from the US this year, but it's hard to predict more than 2 medals.

I heard yes and the only question is whether he beats anyone surprising, Dake, Taylor, Howe or Fay. I think not on Dake, Taylor and Howe, but how about Fay?

If Anthony can improve his stamina to match Howe than I think he has a great shot of beating him.