Sign in to follow this  
emk1

Strategy for WTT

My guess is that stategy plays a part in the mini tournament. With 7 man brackets, the number 1 seed gets a bye then wrestles either the 4/5 seed then wrestles in the finals.  So, # 1 seed gets 2 matches in then wrestles in the best of 3.  All the other wrestlers have 3 matches (dog fights) to get opportunity to wrestle in best of 3.  Of interest to me is the way 213 shakes out with seeds.  The winner of the 4/5 seed could give Varner a tough match if he gets caught up in a stategy match.  Cox and Kilgore could squeeze by to challenge Snyder.  Any thoughts.

Sorry but it is true about Varner. Since he stopped having Cael as a training partner after 2012 his offense dropped back to the Varnish days of 07-10. He trained full time with Cael in 11 and 12 and guess what Varner had some offense. It just doesn't come naturally for him. If he gets some offense back he wins trials easily but the crux here is the value of Cael Sanderson. No Cael then no medals for Jake. I now believe that Jake Varner is an Olympic champion almost solely because of his one on one training with Cael. I mean how many former Olympic champs in their primes train one on one for two years with their pupil. Varner owes a lot to Cael! 

Sorry but it is true about Varner. Since he stopped having Cael as a training partner after 2012 his offense dropped back to the Varnish days of 07-10. He trained full time with Cael in 11 and 12 and guess what Varner had some offense. It just doesn't come naturally for him. If he gets some offense back he wins trials easily but the crux here is the value of Cael Sanderson. No Cael then no medals for Jake. I now believe that Jake Varner is an Olympic champion almost solely because of his one on one training with Cael. I mean how many former Olympic champs in their primes train one on one for two years with their pupil. Varner owes a lot to Cael! 

That must be why David Taylor beat Jordan Burroughs and won Worlds last year... he has been training under Cael for 5 years.

SC,

Taylor and Sanderson is not the same comparison but it has helped him training with Cael, same as Ruth. Varner and Cael are the same size, are best friends and were full time partners in 11 and 12. Taylor did train with them but Taylor is already offensive while Sanderson brought Jake out of his defensive counter wrestling stupor! Then his offense flourished in 11 and 12. Now it is back to his junior year of college and before days. If Varner gets his mojo back he should win trials but without Cael it is gonna be tough for him.  

Sure I give Varner the credit for those two medals but do I think he wins them without Cael-I say no. I mean he was a 4 time NCAA finalist before he trained full time freestyle with Cael-he was pretty good:-) Just saying how many people fall into a perfect training situation like Varner did. Same size guy, still in their prime, is an Olympic champ and are best friends?

Why isn't he training with Cael anymore? Did Cael stop wrestling? Or did Varner leave Happy Valley?

BTW, couldn't Cael himself easily make the team at 213?

I don't know the answer to the first question, but I have to think that a 35 year old Cael would absolutely pick Kyle Snyder apart.  He definitely hasn't "let himself go" at all. 

Why isn't he training with Cael anymore? Did Cael stop wrestling? Or did Varner leave Happy Valley?

I was wondering that too. Isn't Varner with NLWC? Wasn't Cael in his corner at US Open? If not, who was?

Who was Varner's coach in the 'Varnish days of 07-10'?

Guys

Cael was his coach in 07-10 and 14-15. But in 11 and 12 Cael was training FULL time on the mat with Varner one on one. His #1 training partner and Cael also had a goal to win worlds in 11 and get Varner Gold in 12. So two FULL years of all day wrestling together. Cael is his coach now but is no where near getting the minutes with Jake like he was.  I think it has made a difference in Varner's offense. Not saying Cael is god but I even think Varner will tell you that he would not be a Olympic champ without Cael. I mean Varner's style does not work for a good ankle pick but he wins the Olympics with an ankle pick-just one example. Varner developed a pretty good ankle pick which is extremely hard to learn for a guy like Varner. In my opnion I don't think Varner medals without Cael.

Edited by PRyan2012

The boring college days were the cutting too much weight days. Given how huge Varner looks now he might have the same issue.

Actually Snyder also looks a lot better and more mobile at 97kg then at 197 lbs. he weighed in at over 100 kg got BTS. Nothing like sucking too much weight to drain the energy from an athlete.

Freestyle rules have changed over the years (the crazy clinch-take down or defend for 30 seconds is now gone) and each wrestler probably has a coach work on a strategy.  When Cael wrestled, he was constantly looking for his ankle pick (David Taylor also moves his feet well and looks for ankle pick).  Both have long legs and arms and also do well on top position.  Jordan Burroughs blast double, shoot from the outside and his unique ability to shift gears and go all out works to his advantage.  So.... moving on to the upper weights style----- Defense, defense, defense and a push out or  go with your best shot in the early stages, get the points and then.... defend, defend, defend. 

Guys

Cael was his coach in 07-10 and 14-15. But in 11 and 12 Cael was training FULL time on the mat with Varner one on one. His #1 training partner and Cael also had a goal to win worlds in 11 and get Varner Gold in 12. So two FULL years of all day wrestling together. Cael is his coach now but is no where near getting the minutes with Jake like he was.  I think it has made a difference in Varner's offense. Not saying Cael is god but I even think Varner will tell you that he would not be a Olympic champ without Cael. I mean Varner's style does not work for a good ankle pick but he wins the Olympics with an ankle pick-just one example. Varner developed a pretty good ankle pick which is extremely hard to learn for a guy like Varner. In my opnion I don't think Varner medals without Cael.

I wonder if this bodes ill for Schlatter.  I understand JRob hasn't been going one on one full time with DS in recent years.

It's a shame that Varner forgot how to do the ankle pick after he previously learned it from Cael.  Does Varner only learn from osmosis?  When he stops touching Cael does he lose what he already knew?  Is it a midas touch kind of thing?  Does everyone Cael touches actually turn to Gold (medalist)?

I agree Varner wouldn't have won Gold without Cael.  Obviously no coach won a gold medal without the help of their coach.  But many other coaches have the ability to teach a guy something and have him learn it forever, not just for the time they are actively wrestling each other.  Perhaps Cael needs to expand this ability.

Or perhaps Varner's success has more factors than how much he drilled with Cael that day.