Sign in to follow this  
Wrestling Ph.D.

Junior World Silver Medalist and NJCAA National Champ - Patrick Downey Signs with Iowa State & Cyclone Lineup Next Year

Recently past Junior World silver medalist and NJCAA national champ, Patrick Downey, signed with Iowa State and will be wrestling at 184 pounds. Also, with Weatherman and Weatherspoon moving down to 165 and 174 pounds, respectively, ISU will have a strong lineup at these weights.

Curious to know from ISU insiders what their lineup will be next year, especially with the amount of athletes / log jams at 133 and 141.

My guess is (listed my personal pick first)

125-Boston/Larson

133-Hall

141-Dante/Meeks

149-Moreno

157-Rodriguez-Spencer/Briceno

165-Weatherman

174-Weatherspoon

184-Downey

197-Harrington

285-Smith

A good dual team

Log jams at 133 and 141? Im guessing this is a reference to John Meeks not starting. I think that has less to do with the depth/talent at those weights and more to do with Meeks not developing as expected. Rodriguez was a true freshman who surprised some people, but far from a world beater at the moment.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks this is such a great pickup for Iowa St. First of all, he graduated hs in 2011... which means he should be entering his rs senior year, not rs freshman year. Second, he didn't graduate from his home state because he got in legal trouble for assaulting a kid, a kid I knew personally. Then, he leaves Nebraska under dubious circumstances. He has floated around Florida, Oregon, Nebraska and Iowa. Not saying people can't change, but this kid comes with a boatload of baggage. And in his limited action against D1 competition (in folkstyle) he has not fared spectacularly.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-10-11/news/bs-md-ci-wrestler-20111011_1_james-patrick-downey-iii-turkey-bowl-three-assault-cases