Sign in to follow this  
wrestfan

Iran WTT

Iran World team trials will be held next week Thursday and Friday (11-12 June), winners most probably will make the world team. they announced the complete list of qualified wrestlers, these wrestlers are qualified after few rounds of pre-trials. from 2014 world team members, Hosseinkhani and Afzali could not even qualify for the trials !

notable wrestlers are in bold.

57kg:

Rahimi, Sarmasti, Atri, Damadi, Jalali, Nader Hajaghania, Ali Hajaghania, Rezazadeh, Maleki, Khanjani

61kg:

Dangesaraki, Ehsanpour, Hojjati, Alizadeh, Moradgholi, Mehran Nasiri, Dabbaghi, Amouzadeh, Sadeghi

65kg:

Mohammadi, Yeganeh-Jafari, Meisam Nasiri, Jebeli, Salehi, Heidari, Sadeh, Tahmasebi, Abdollahpour, Esmaeilpour

70kg:

Dadashpour, Kamarvand, Rahmanizadeh, Taghavi, Morteza Goudarzi, Elahian, Mohammadzadeh, Hassan Yazdani

74kg:

Rezaei-Ghaleh, Maktabdar, AsheghHosseini, Yarahmadi, Ali Ghasemi, Eliasi, Naderi, Jafar Ghasemi, Mozaffari, Akbari, Abbas Yazdani

86kg:

Nejatian, Panahandeh, Javad Ebrahimi, Hamedipour, Zaman, Shahmohammadi, Bayat, Pazouki, Lashgari, Jokar, Karimi

97kg:

Reza Yazdani, Eslami, Mohsen Ebrahimi, Rahimi, Yousefvand, Jamal Mirzaei, Mehran Mirzaei, Tahan, Bakhtiari, Amir Mohammadi, Mohammadian

125kg:

Ghasemi, Hadi, Ghomi, Shams-Nateri, Taheri, Mohebbi, Mousavi, Ghourehjili, Rasouli, Kianian, Sadeghzadeh

I also have complete list for Greco but I think people here are more interested in freestyle, just saying that all top wrestlers like Sourian and Norouzi are in the list.

How are their trials structured? Is it a line draw tournament or round robin?

if I'm not wrong they will use a strange format, it will be a double elimination competition with best of 3 series for the last 2 wrestlers.

per new rules, 2014 World medalist and 2014 Asian Games gold medalists (if they don't change weight) will have a bye in first round, in these weights 1st round wlll be direct elimination and the remaining wrestlers + seeded wrestlers will continue in double elimination, in other weights they will start with double elimination from the start. Rahimi, Mohammadi, Yazdani, Jokar, Hadi and Ghasemi will receive bye in first round.

Edited by wrestfan

Is Taghavi going back to 65 or up to 74 for the olympics? I know Yazdani wanted to go to 74 for the world championships but they didn't let him. 

I'm quite sure even Taghavi himself can't answer this question.

can one of you international experts remind me of the kids name who was the main guy in the Iranian wrestling documentary from awhile back. I remember him getting some good wins in a year or two ago but forgot his name since then.

There were 3 kids, two of them will wrestle in senior trials this year.

Peyman Yarahmadi in freestyle and Payam Bouyeri in Greco.

There were 3 kids, two of them will wrestle in senior trials this year.

Peyman Yarahmadi in freestyle and Payam Bouyeri in Greco.

Thanks. I think it was Yarahmadi I was thinking of, the one that got upset that he may have to forfeit to Israel at an international competition if they both advanced. he beat Tsirtsis as Junior Worlds a few years back and I believe I recall him getting a few other solid wins last I checked up on his progress. Edited by MadMardigain

As an international wrestling fan, I would love to see this field mixed with the full field from Russian Nationals in a single tournament

As a U.S. Wrestling fan, we are so damn lucky they each only get to send one rep to the World Championship

Yeah, and the whole world is on to Yazdani's signature foot stomp move (half serious).

As far as that Iranian field listed above and the Russian Nationals' guys, would love to throw in matching amounts of the best Americans at each weight and see how many could break through the brackets.

Would be especially cool to see 74kg with JB, KD, DT, AH, AD, AV all mixed into the bracket with the best Iranians and Russians. I know, wishful thinking.

Edited by 2td3nf

I think Yazdani has his best days behind him. Wrestling is brutal and he's been at it a long time. I hope I'm wrong though it would be awesome if he made another run.

Really want to see Yazdanichari vs Taghavi. I suppose Taghavi is the favorite; he's heated YC already and he doesn't fall for the crazy stuff easily. YC is so fun to watch though, looks crazy strong with a ton of energy and he's been much more active. Really hope he wins.

What are the chances we get to see Yazdani vs Taghavi or any of the matches? I doubt they do a stream like the Russian trials. I have only been able to find the last 20 seconds of Yazdani vs Taghavi 1. I've also looked everywhere for the Yazdani vs Tsabalov match and haven't been able to find it. 

any news on the greco trials?

will be held at the same time and the same venue, but there is a little difference here. Iran is not that depth in Greco. top wrestlers usually escape the trials and find another way to make the world team. even though this year they made it clear they won't give another chance to absentees. for example Sourian never wrestled any kind of trial in Iran !! since 2005 he never even wrestled an Iranian wrestler !!!

but here is the list for the trials

59kg:

Sourian, Faghiri, Nourbakhsh, Ghaderi, Hajipour, Papi, Khamesi, Tavakolian

66kg:

Noroozi, Geraei, Mirfathollahi, Yaghoubi, Farahani, Souri, Barzegar, Nourzadeh, Zare, Zeidvand, Saman Abdevali

71kg:

Biabangard, Taheri, Aslan, Pashtam, A. Garmsiri, Eslami, Belfakkeh

75kg:

Bouyeri, Babaei-Jafari, M. Karimi, F. Karimi, Gholami, Rostamikia, Farajpour, R. Garmsiri, Rostami, Saeid Abdevali, Mohebtash, Tavasoli

80kg:

Zinatirefah, Moradi, Eslami, Ghaderian, Mehdi Mohammadi, Jalili, Bahrami, Khosravi, Akhbari

85kg:

Karimfar, Nouri, Azizi, Abedinzadeh, Fallahdoust, Ebrahimi, Masoudi, Bidar, Arab-Jafari, Akhlaghi

98kg:

Rezaei, Mehdi Aliyari, Salehizadeh, Kazemi, Keshavarz, Majid Aliyari, Gilneyrang, Zoudashna, Askari, Ali Aliyari

130kg:

Babajanzadeh, Nouri, Masoumzadeh, Nazari, NematChekani, Akbari, Zarini, Ahmadi

from this list I expect Sourian, Noroozi, Ghaderian and Babajanzadeh to win their weights, (even though it won't be that easy for Noroozi with Geraei and Zeidvand) Payam Bouyeri (another kid from that documentary) claims he will beat Abdevali in 75kg but still I think Abdevali will make it to the world team. in 71kg it will be between Biabangard and Taheri, in 85kg between Akhlaghi and Karimfar (Abedinzadeh is injured and won't participate) and finally the most important match of the trials is probably in 98kg between Ghasem Rezaei and Mehdi Aliyari.

from this list, Sourian, Noroozi, Biabangard, Rezaei and Aliyari will be seeded and will receive bye in 1st round.

Edited by wrestfan