Sign in to follow this  
mlbruem

Mike Golic & National Wrestling Hall of Fame

Several times on Mike and Mike in the morning today it was mentioned that

Mike Golic was not on the show because he was being inducted in the National

Wrestling Hall of Fame in Stillwater.

Maybe I missed it some where but I can not find even one article on the wrestling sites

with this info. Not even on the Hall of Fame site itself can I find any info. It would seem that

there would be a press release at very minimum.

Mike Golic is one of the most high profile sports media people going at this point in time.

Cohost of one of the most highly rated sports talk shows ever. It would seem a chance for

some excellent publicity for the sport is not being taken advantage of.

there's an article on the themat main page. doesn't highlight his induction in headline or anything, but he is mentioned in the article just like the other inductees.

they were talking about it on yesterday's show too. he talked a good bit about how wrestling made him a better football player, how wrestling is a great sport, how cool it was to be inducted, etc.

He went to St Joes in Cleveland, same HS as Dan and Steve St. John from AZ State.  Also the same high school as Desmond Howard (broadcaster and Heisman trophy winner), Clark Kellog (boradcaster and basketball great) and Elvis Gerbac to name a few. 

He was very helpful when he lived in Phoenix, before he moved to ESPN. I had a kid's club he brought his boys in for a practice. He decided they weren't mentally ready to wrestle. I was a volunteer coach at Brophy Prep (jesuit), the head coach complained they get 100 boys out for football, and 80 will never play on the varsity, most are too small, but would do well in wrestling. I called up Mike who came over to the freshman football team and told them, if you want to be a football player, get in the wrestling room. They were scared of him, said he was the largest person they'd ever seen. We did get more freshman coming out for wrestling.

He was very vocal about the value of wrestling, when the IOC dropped it.

Golics were excellent wrestlers for St Joes.  Another somewhat famous St Joes wrestler--Mike Schmidlin.  Schmidlin is a Midlands legend.  He competed in it for some crazy number of years in a row.  I remember people talking about it years ago.  

I think Golic tries to interject wrestling into their talk show conversation when he can, but gets shut down by his tennis loving cohost Greenie. That guys is a wannabe dork who questioned whether wrestling was even and sport.

Are you assuming that because he made an apparent negative comment about Fox (News?) that his political leaning is liberal? That's not fair and balanced and does not allow us to decide.

Edited by Bloate