Sign in to follow this  
lightweight

This story is getting worse

Hastert's a high-profile person who has identified with and been warmly identified by the wrestling community as one of its glowing success stories.  If Hastert had cured cancer, he's be praised on this forum.  You gotta take the crookeds with the straights....

It is a wrestling story in that it involved someone highly praised by the wrestling community and it turns out he is a dirtbag. It is impossible to vet someone 100 percent of the time, and it is equally important to not sweep things under a rug when someone we claimed as one of our own turns out to be not such a nice guy.

Media is fixated with the wrestling angle. I've even seen comments sections addressing his work against title ix.

Time for leadership to rebrand wrestling away from gay stereotypes. Change the uniform would make an immediate difference.

Change the uniform would make an immediate difference

What sort of change, tuxedo, 3-piece suit?...... really.

There's no excuse for abusing a student or lying to the Feds. He's a lawmaker who broke the law and .....got caught and outed. My guess is big fine and no jail time. Good luck though trying enjoy retirement cooped up in that other jail... your house.  

This is a wrestling story.

Hastert has publicly associated himself with wrestling. For example, he called his autobiography "Speaker: Lessons from Forty Years in Coaching and Politics." And here's a summary of the book from Amazon: 

In Speaker: Lessons from 30 Years of Coaching and Politics, Denny Hastert breaks his silence to tell a remarkable American story: of how he grew up among the fields of Northern Illinois, made a name for himself as a high school and collegiate wrestler, became a high school wrestling and football coach and civics teacher...and eventually found himself teaching, and learning about, civics in the most important forum in the world: in the United States Congress as Speaker of the House, the third most powerful man in government.

And this isn't one-sided. In 2003 FILA (UWW) went out of its way to honor Hastert at an NYC event called "An Evening with Legends." FILA (UWW) did this even though Hastert apparently has no connection to international wrestling. As of now I have not seen anything where the UWW distances itself from Hastert. 

If FILA (UWW) had not honored Hastert, it might be easier to say he was simply using wrestling for his own ends. 

Edited by Katie

What sort of change, tuxedo, 3-piece suit?...... really.

There's no excuse for abusing a student or lying to the Feds. He's a lawmaker who broke the law and .....got caught and outed. My guess is big fine and no jail time. Good luck though trying enjoy retirement cooped up in that other jail... your house.  

Yeah……the guys life has been forever changed.

The jury of public opinion has/is further and finally inculpated the man.

I am saddened about the whole thing, as is my spouse Dyann. I shared on another thread that Dyann and I met Denny…..had dinner….talked a lot. This, during a wk-end in Evanston. We emailed for a few years as well. Point is, we simply had, and still have admiration for the guy. 

"No excuse for abusing a student or lying to the Feds." Absolutely the case here. Although….could it be that Denny is a good guy ?  Perhaps a man who  has made countless positive contributions to Illinois and to our entire country ?

And….he just  may have made some awful…..and some very inappropriate choices/decisions ?

If so, he will pay dearly.

More too…..shall be revealed.

Edited by denny