Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Good news out of Bucknell

Guest Kingsland

I'm glad, he's a fun heavy to watch, and he's always working for the pin.

Joe had a season ending injury at NE Duals (late November) his freshman year.  My understanding is they don't RS at Bucknell (that a Patriot League rule).  Yes they compete in wrestling out of the EIWA, but the school overall follows Patriot League Rules.  So at Bucknell you're in and out in 4 yrs.  So this will be his 5th year.

Lehigh isn't in the Patriot League in wrestling. Not positive, but I don't think Lehigh redshirts for other than medical reasons in any other sport.

Correct.

The Patriot League, like the Ivy League does not allow for redshirting (though medical hardships may be used on a case-by-case basis). The difference is that the Ivy League members apply the rules to their athletic department and the Patriot League members have decided that it only applies to the sports that are in the Patriot League so the EIWA wrestling programs are exempt.

I think, and have heard that others agree, it would be great to have the Patriot League (American, Army, Bucknell, Lehigh, Navy) sponsor the sport and maybe allow for some associate members so they can have a dual champion like the Ivy League has. However, the wrestling coaches do not want to be hampered by the strict Patriot League rules.

Joe had a season ending injury at NE Duals (late November) his freshman year.  My understanding is they don't RS at Bucknell (that a Patriot League rule).  Yes they compete in wrestling out of the EIWA, but the school overall follows Patriot League Rules.  So at Bucknell you're in and out in 4 yrs.  So this will be his 5th year.

Bucknell takes this "4 years and out" very seriously, hence why you haven't seen many "grey shirts" for Bucknell Wrestling. The school makes it very difficult for athletes to do this.

I think that Stolfi is exempt because the engineering program he is typically takes 5 years. The vast majority of students on campus are undergraduates, not many (if any) athletes move onto grad school in Lewisburg, thus making the 5th year option difficult.

Bucknell takes this "4 years and out" very seriously, hence why you haven't seen many "grey shirts" for Bucknell Wrestling. The school makes it very difficult for athletes to do this.

seriously indeed.

The Ivies have found they can and will reshirt inured and non injured athletes.

The Service Academies have gotten a few injury/health redshirts.

Even the infamous college in Easton, with no grad programs (Bucknell has ~5% grad students) has got aa 5th season for a few injured athletes.

But about 8 years ago Bucknell Recruited the then top career rusher in PA for football (Jeremiah Young of Steele-High -- The same year Lehigh got Barkett the then single season leader) Young had serious surgery before enrolling at Lewisburg, and did not play a down, did not even practice once that first year. I was he sure he would play a fourth season in his fifth year. But he did not.

Anyone know what Zach Valleys status is? I saw him competing in beginning of year, and then no competitions.

Still on the team, competed at the University Nationals. 

Going into the season he seemed to be prime to start at 133. but Grim Gonzalez really stepped up and had a pretty good year, showing much improvement from 2013-14. 

Still on the team, competed at the University Nationals.

Going into the season he seemed to be prime to start at 133. but Grim Gonzalez really stepped up and had a pretty good year, showing much improvement from 2013-14.

He's a prime example of a Bucknell kid who you wish could've had this past year as a redshirt year... He very well may have a good college career, but it would be a shame if this past year was a wasted year, eligibility- wise. I know Bucknell takes 4 year graduation rate seriously, I feel they could push the envelope and start to try to get some of these guys redshirts when needed.

He's a prime example of a Bucknell kid who you wish could've had this past year as a redshirt year... He very well may have a good college career, but it would be a shame if this past year was a wasted year, eligibility- wise. I know Bucknell takes 4 year graduation rate seriously, I feel they could push the envelope and start to try to get some of these guys redshirts when needed.

100% agree. Especially when you are competing against Cornell/Lehigh, and they seemingly have no issue RS/Ivy-RS kids.

Possibly a way around it is to form a partnership with a PA prep school (Wyoming Seminary comes to mind), NLWC, or build the Bison club to where these guys can have good partners. Kids can choose to take a year between HS/College to train properly.

Problem(s) with that are:

Chance of losing them to another school.

They don't have much progress training during that year.

But, it would be nice to see some sort of resolution for them.