Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Valencia could wrestle in the Junior World Team Trials ... Could not will

I was reading the UWW Junior WTT trials information on the web and it definitely leaves open the possibility of Valencia wrestling for the juniors. First, he automatically qualifies for the trials because he is a previous junior world team member. But the line that caught my eye was this:

"A delay in a final wrestle-off will only occur if a previous Junior World medalist is injured or that medalist participates in the 2015 Senior Freestyle World Team Trials. "

I don't exactly see how this would work in that Hall is top of the ladder but on the other hand there it is. If USA wrestling wants to field the best team, then of course we would want Valencia to be in the mix either to make the team or to add confidence in whoever does make the team. They seem to have left the door open. Does anyone have any insights?

UWW Junior Division Qualifying Criteria:

Must be born 1995-1997 (1998 with medical certificate) in order to participate.

 Previous Junior World Team Member.  Top six place winners from the 2014 Junior Nationals.  Top eight place winners from the 2015 UWW Junior National tournament.  Any All-American from the 2015 University Nationals.  Any All-American from the 2015 NCAA Division I Nationals.  Any All-American from the 2015 Folkstyle Nationals.  Top seven place winners from the 2015 Senior Open.  The finalists from the 2015 NCAA DII Nationals.  The finalists from the 2015 NCAA DIII Nationals.  The Champions from the 2015 NAIA Nationals.  The Champions from the 2015 Junior College Nationals.  Wild cards for petitioning in by any athlete injured during the qualifying process or requested by the National Coaching Staff. The final decision to be made by the National Team Coaching Staff. Please call or email appropriate coach for wild card application. Deadline is May 29, 2015 for Freestyle. 

Ahhh got it. Sorry about that. I assumed he had to wrestle the trials so thought you were saying something else.

Anyhow what I don't get how USA wrestling / UWW would handle if he wants to wrestle the junior trials. I would have thought he would have to choose but the site makes the comment about delaying a wrestle off for someone who wrestles in the senior trials.