Sign in to follow this  
WRfan1

Adopted Rules Changes Do Very Little

What spectators are complaining about a lack of a pushout rule?  

Sorry but the spectators that are will be watching anyway.  They are hardcore fans of the sport.  The regular Joe sports fan attending a match that we want to attract more of just wants to see action and/or support a team he or she likes.  He or she doesn't even know what a pushout rule is.  

Maybe a pushout rule would increase action,  Maybe not.  However there is not an ounce of evidence it will increase attendance.  Dual attendance is based on success of the program and the amount of promotion it gets.  Iowa had great attendance last season and most fans on these very boards did nothing but complain about how boring the team was to watch.  Rutgers didn't do much winning but filled the stands for all of the home matches and created an exciting environment for dual meets.  So what does this mean?  I'm actually not sure what it means.  Maybe creating an exciting culture that supports the program is just as important as increasing action (although I think we all would agree that improving both is a reasonable goal).

I guess I just am not a fan of the pushout.  

The spectators i'm mostly talking about are the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of ex-wrestlers across the country that watch baseball, basketball, etc instead of wrestling.  But your right there is no evidence it will increase attendance.  There is just a belief by many that the current freestyle product is more exciting and the playing the edge game and constant out of bounds restarts makes the wrestling much harder to watch. 

So what evidence is there that including a pushout rule will bring ex wrestlers back to the sport?  Has freestyle seen a marked increase in attendance since they implemented the rule?  I am asking because I honestly don't know.  However I am guessing they haven't.   

The spectators i'm mostly talking about are the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of ex-wrestlers across the country that watch baseball, basketball, etc instead of wrestling.  But your right there is no evidence it will increase attendance.  There is just a belief by many that the current freestyle product is more exciting and the playing the edge game and constant out of bounds restarts makes the wrestling much harder to watch. 

Ok that is an honest opinion and one that nobody can really dispute because it is subjective.  I respect your opinion.  However, those who enjoy wrestling on the edge and would hate to see it go have equally valid arguments since they are based on their perception of what constitutes action and excitement.  A late takedown with one foot in is as exciting as it gets to me.  A pushout point just doesn't get me going.  Everytime I watch freestyle and see a one point pushout I cringe.  Maybe the same way you cringe when action goes out of bounds with no penalty.    

One problem with a "NCAA pushout"  is how to reconcile it with the expanded out of bounds. Right now they're oil and water and would need to be redefined as to when the push out happens and how to adjust the scoring if there's a takedown too. 3pt td?