Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

UWW Junior World Team Trials Thread

I thought he was not elegible because of his age, if he get's in that would be another weight category I will be looking forward to watch friday.

He would have had to get a special release saying that it was okay for him to compete despite being too young.

Spencer Lee was born in 1998 and therefore did need and obviously did receive a medical release. 

Lemon, I completely agree. I wonder if he had chose to go 50kg or (conspiracy theory) someone said we will let you in only if you go 50kg. Either way, if he does make 50kg (and I have no reason to believe he won't) and wrestles reasonably well, then it supports the argument that Lee was somewhat undersized in the cadet trials. 

Having Lee make the team at 50kg will certainly make our team that much stronger. We had an unbelieveable showing last year winning 6 medals and finishing 2nd as a team. It would be awesome to see us replicate that success or take a step up the ladder and win the team title.

I would have to think Lee, as a cadet world champ, would be a serious gold medal threat at 50. He has the talent and experience and I would think he'd be a pretty big wrestler at that weight. Now if only we could get McKenna and Snyder on the junior team to go with Lee, Pico, Hall, and the rest, we could have another amazing team! Time will tell, but definitely enough here to be excited about.

Having Lee make the team at 50kg will certainly make our team that much stronger. We had an unbelieveable showing last year winning 6 medals and finishing 2nd as a team. It would be awesome to see us replicate that success or take a step up the ladder and win the team title.

I would have to think Lee, as a cadet world champ, would be a serious gold medal threat at 50. He has the talent and experience and I would think he'd be a pretty big wrestler at that weight. Now if only we could get McKenna and Snyder on the junior team to go with Lee, Pico, Hall, and the rest, we could have another amazing team! Time will tell, but definitely enough here to be excited about.

It certainly would be nice to get Snyder and McKenna back on the JR team.

Also Stoll is going to be entering the FS portion of JRs this year, could be interesting.

It certainly would be nice to get Snyder and McKenna back on the JR team.

Also Stoll is going to be entering the FS portion of JRs this year, could be interesting.

That's good to hear about Stoll. At the very least it adds some depth to what I thought was one of the weaker weights at the Open. Was hoping a guy like Nevills might be our guy, even tho he doesn't have much freestyle background he is a heavyweight that can attack and score, and he has great upperweight coaches and workout partners at PSU with plenty of freestyle experience. Stoll won a medal in Greco before, so maybe he'll be an upgrade over Butler or if Butler beats him than maybe Butler is better than I think? Either way, depth and competition is good! Hell, maybe Nevills shows up too.

54 at Cadets (as a whole) is much weaker than 55 at Juniors. I know Fix won Juniors, and that there are a ton of studs at the cadet 54kg, but giving up weight AND age vs a guy like Micic is probably too much to ask of Lee.

You're probably right, but i'd take Lee, even money, over anyone at 55 Juniors. An entire tournament is obviously tougher than a single match, though, which is probably what made Lee suck down. Or maybe his coaches thought it was time to rebuild his confidence and they thought that was more likely down a weight.

You're probably right, but i'd take Lee, even money, over anyone at 55 Juniors. An entire tournament is obviously tougher than a single match, though, which is probably what made Lee suck down. Or maybe his coaches thought it was time to rebuild his confidence and they thought that was more likely down a weight.

It might not even be the American guys. His coaches could have said 50 kg at Worlds may be an easier route than 55 kg. All I know is I am excited for 50 kg now. This team could have been really good this year.

I am also excited about Darian Cruz. I haven't seen him wrestle much but know him by reputation. Anyone have a thought on him vs Fix? I mean a returning AA vs Fix, but then look at what Fix did to Micic who took third at Midlands can't automatically count him out.

Spencer Lee is only 5 feet tall and walks around in the mid 120's, he was tiny at 120, He won't even be huge at 110. He wrestled flat weight all year because Devin Brown was at 113 and didn't want to push Devin down to 106 and Devin was too small vs the legit 120 pounders (Brown lost to Hartman state 7th at 120 in the dual). So yes, Lee has competed all year wrestling flat weight, which makes his acomplishments all the more impressive.

Literally flat? Like he doesn't even pull a few lbs prior to weighing in? I find that hard to believe but will defer to you if you know him. Also I thought he was a little taller than just 5 ft. from standing next to him last summer, so it's hard to imagine he has not grown at all given his young age.

Brackets are out and last we saw Brown isn't even wrestling. Lots of people at 74kg. The 86kg bracket will produce a very interesting finalist for Valencia whoever might win. At 55kg all I can say is if Fix wins it will blow me away. We have Petry in the bracket who teched him once (not likely to happen again) and a returning AA who probably doesn't make it to wrestle fix in any case.