Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Any way to beat Ruth?

I disagree. I think Dake and Stieber are tougher to beat. Dake may keep matches close against the top guys, but he is also nearly impossible to score on -- if Taylor, arguably the best offensive wrestler in the country, cannot come close, who will? Stieber may not keep positioning as well as Dake, but he is close, and his mastery of all positions as well as both offense and defense from the feet make him, at once, both stingy and unlikely to get scored on and able to score from any position equally well.

Ruth obviously has prodigious talent too, but he is the sloppiest of the three. Also, he has mental lapses that both Dake and Stieber do not. I think Ruth is more likely than Dake and Stieber to beat top competition by a wider margin, but he is also more likely to get caught out of position or otherwise give scoring opportunities to opponents.

I disagree. I think Dake and Stieber are tougher to beat. Dake may keep matches close against the top guys, but he is also nearly impossible to score on -- if Taylor, arguably the best offensive wrestler in the country, cannot come close, who will? Stieber may not keep positioning as well as Dake, but he is close, and his mastery of all positions as well as both offense and defense from the feet make him, at once, both stingy and unlikely to get scored on and able to score from any position equally well.

Ruth obviously has prodigious talent too, but he is the sloppiest of the three. Also, he has mental lapses that both Dake and Stieber do not. I think Ruth is more likely than Dake and Stieber to beat top competition by a wider margin, but he is also more likely to get caught out of position or otherwise give scoring opportunities to opponents.

If the discussion was can you score on Ruth, you would be correct. It is in fact can Ruth be beaten. Dake or Steiber keeping close matches are always in danger of a stall call or a scramble that they don't win. Before anyone says something, I am well aware that they win their scrambles.

If either Dake or Steiber gave up a TD against top competition it would be tough to get back into the match.

I feel like Ruth can score as easily as Taylor and can afford to be "sloppy" at times.

Of course this is speculation and opinions so you are entitled to yours, I just disagree with it. Plus I think Ruth has much easier path than anyone else.

We all have our opinions, but I would much rather try to beat a guy who can be scored on than a guy who cannot, even if that guy has a tendency to put up big victory margins in spite of any defensive deficiency, however slight. If my goal is to try to win, as opposed to minimizing the margin of victory, I'd rather wrestle Ruth than Dake or Stieber.

i am in the camp that guys that score less are more likely to be upset. i want to have a chance in the third period to score once and win as opposed to scoring throughout the bout when i am the less skilled wrestler.

Yes watch the video of the oly try outs when he wrestled Keddy

Good match from Keddy, but unless a college wrestler in a folkstyle match can pin Ruth or tech him before he gets to choose top, that match almost means nothing.

in the dual hamlin was out pretty easily.

Anyone else believe that if he doesn't get injured in 2010.... he would be in the discussion about the "4 timer club"?

I remember all the threads from posters claiming he faked the injury only later to have surgery and then hammer Amus the following season.

Anyone else believe that if he doesn't get injured in 2010.... he would be in the discussion about the "4 timer club"?

That's the way the ball bounces in this sport and underscores just how difficult it is to achieve that sort of success.

If the discussion was can you score on Ruth, you would be correct. It is in fact can Ruth be beaten. Dake or Steiber keeping close matches are always in danger of a stall call or a scramble that they don't win. Before anyone says something, I am well aware that they win their scrambles.

If either Dake or Steiber gave up a TD against top competition it would be tough to get back into the match.

I feel like Ruth can score as easily as Taylor and can afford to be "sloppy" at times.

Of course this is speculation and opinions so you are entitled to yours, I just disagree with it. Plus I think Ruth has much easier path than anyone else.

I have no idea as far as an answer to this question, but who hasn't Stieber dominated this year? He has hammered everyone so far.

Some slouch from Bald Eagle Area had Ruth's number two years in a row ;)

He got 2nd in the state to Quentin Wright?

Ruth never made the Finals.

He lost in the Semis his sophmore year lost again in the consi semis and took 5th. In he quarterfinals he beat Thad Frick in a great match. Frick was up 4-1 in the first and Ruth came back to win 9-6. Frick Wright was the match every one wanted to see in that weight. Frick the year before beat Quentin's brother Landis in the Semis 12-11 in a great match to watch.

Ruth's junior year he lost to Wright again in the semis. Won in the consi semis. to lose to lance Bryson to take 4th.