Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Any way to beat Ruth?

Some slouch from Bald Eagle Area had Ruth's number two years in a row ;)

He got 2nd in the state to Quentin Wright?

Lost back to back years in the semis to Q. Ed went into the state tournament in 07 as the south central regional champ with 1 loss. Q won by 3. In 08 both were undefeated but again on the same side of the bracket and Q won 10-8.

Some slouch from Bald Eagle Area had Ruth's number two years in a row ;)

He got 2nd in the state to Quentin Wright?

Lost back to back years in the semis to Q. Ed went into the state tournament in 07 as the south central regional champ with 1 loss. Q won by 3. In 08 both were undefeated but again on the same side of the bracket and Q won 10-8.

Thanks, did he then get 3rd.

Ruth never made the Finals.

He lost in the Semis his sophmore year lost again in the consi semis and took 5th. In he quarterfinals he beat Thad Frick in a great match. Frick was up 4-1 in the first and Ruth came back to win 9-6. Frick Wright was the match every one wanted to see in that weight. Frick the year before beat Quentin's brother Landis in the Semis 12-11 in a great match to watch.

Ruth's junior year he lost to Wright again in the semis. Won in the consi semis. to lose to Lance Bryson to take 4th.

Guest Hammerlock3
I can't possibly imagine Ruth making any more mistakes or taking any future bout with Hamlin less seriously than he blatantly did in the last one. Whether he does or not I couldn't care less.

do you even know what blatant means or do you just make up words as you go along

i think Hamlin has a shot, for sure. Needs to keep it close the first half of the match. He has great conditioning.

Have you seen Ruth's interview after any of his matches, including last years NCAA Finals against Nick A? You'd never know the guy even wrestled a match.

If Hamlin did beat him, I don't think it would be because of better conditioning. I've said earlier and I strongly feel that Hamlin came as close as he will against Ed Ruth.

With that being said, I definitely am a fan of Hamlin and he surely has made the state of Vermont proud. Very likeable kid!

That $h*t was blatant.

You're blatantly wrong.

You act like Hamlin is a fish or something. He's 85-19 for his career, a 2x EIWA champion, and a 2x AA with finishes of 2nd and 4th.

Indeed, Hamlin is a beast and one of the best guys to not have a title under his belt.

I believe Hamlin can beat him also. Ruth, Wright, Varner and Sanderson all train together. Pretty good rotation:-) Supposedly Varner gets the best of all of them and word is he has pinned Ruth in 2 min goes, so right there that tells me Ruth is beatable. Also throw in Sigman. I like Wrights chances of winning it at 197 with those training partners.

Frick - Ruth was one of those unexpected blockbusters that pop up in the quarter finals at the PA states where two potential champs beat the crap out of each other.

I always make it a point to keep a close eye on the qtrs, because the depth of some weight classes makes the qtrs something of a death march.

No one really knew Ed Ruth - who was a 10th grader out of Susquehanna Twp. But everyone knew Thad Frick - a block of granite out of Nazareth who was Mike Frick's kid and had placed 2nd in the state the year before. But Ruth came out with all guns firing - sloppy but totally unintimidated. He was an instant crowd favorite.

The match was incredible, with Ruth upsetting Frick, then giving Wright all he could handle in the semi-finals, as I recall.

Then Ruth/Wright went at it again in the semi's in 2008. A 10-8 barnburner.

Those who say that Ruth learned his stuff at Blair kinda piss me off. He came out of Blair more disciplined than he was before. But he was always a beast with no fear.

PRyan-Ruth is beatable in a collegiate match because an Olympic gold medalist pinned him in practice? I don't follow the logic. I don't agree with that at all. No, Ruth is not the best wrestler in the world so technically he is beatable if you want to look at it that way. However, I don't believe Varner has anything to do with Ruth being beatable or unbeatable in a college match. My opinion is Ruth will not lose at all this season (he is the best wrestler in college p4p) but anyone is beatable. Sickness, injury (you all know what I mean), bad day, he's coasting along and Hamlin sneaks a td in, whatever, anyone can lose. I just would doubt Ruth gets beat by any COLLEGE wrestlers.

Frick - Ruth was one of those unexpected blockbusters that pop up in the quarter finals at the PA states where two potential champs beat the crap out of each other.

I always make it a point to keep a close eye on the qtrs, because the depth of some weight classes makes the qtrs something of a death march.

No one really knew Ed Ruth - who was a 10th grader out of Susquehanna Twp. But everyone knew Thad Frick - a block of granite out of Nazareth who was Mike Frick's kid and had placed 2nd in the state the year before. But Ruth came out with all guns firing - sloppy but totally unintimidated. He was an instant crowd favorite.

The match was incredible, with Ruth upsetting Frick, then giving Wright all he could handle in the semi-finals, as I recall.

Then Ruth/Wright went at it again in the semi's in 2008. A 10-8 barnburner.

Those who say that Ruth learned his stuff at Blair kinda piss me off. He came out of Blair more disciplined than he was before. But he was always a beast with no fear.

I think the quarters Friday morning are some of the best wrestling of the whole tournament. Winners in the semis loser has to wrestle an hour later to just be able to place.

Frick and Wright wrestled at the beast. Wright won by 3-5 points but the match was all over the place with both going after it.

I also agree Ruth had all the tools before Blair. He just refined everything with his time their. He was still a bit sloppy at Blair, getting spaddled at the beast when he was up by almost a tech-fall.

I believe Hamlin can beat him also. Ruth, Wright, Varner and Sanderson all train together. Pretty good rotation:-) Supposedly Varner gets the best of all of them and word is he has pinned Ruth in 2 min goes, so right there that tells me Ruth is beatable. Also throw in Sigman. I like Wrights chances of winning it at 197 with those training partners.

You're close to correct with the training partners but you're forgetting Cunningham. You're not on point with who gets the best of who either.

Ruth may get sloppy having fun in a dual meet and lose but the only thing that could hold him back in a tournament would be an injury.

It does not take Varner. Keddy beat him in Freestyle and kinda broke him at the end of the match. By going off a few stories I've heard and watching him do things that most wrestlers just can't get away with is pretty obvious that he is freaky strong. Keddy is a horse, So is Varner. I think it takes someone as freakishly strong, or close to it, to go with him. Not really sure anyone at his weight in college fits that bill.