NYWRESTLER94

What if Suriano went to Rutgers

How has he beaten more high level kids? Suriano beat Fix, who is more highly ranked than anyone McFadden has beat. Competing more doesn't make you better. Suriano has proven he belongs as a top 5 type of talent. He doesn't have to prove it again and again to be considered such. Many knocked Bo Jordan for not competing enough in HS and it looks to me like he was actually underrated despite his high ranking.

If you are from NJ, wrestle and enjoy the city, you might stay home rather than attend some school in the midwest.  That was all I was saying.  People who enjoy the city are less likely to enjoy cornfields.  Yes some people choose a school based on proximity to NYC.  There are opportunities for internships and workstudy with big companies and all sorts of sports, arts and entertainment.  People who wrestle have broader interests than I think you give them credit for Tbar.  

Broad interests with wrestling playing the lead role in where he chooses to go to college. These top kids are getting money from wrestling coaches, not big city mayors or titans of the corporate world. . 

This is not meant to suggest that academics are unimportant as that sentiment would be inaccurate. 

Edited by TBar1977

Yeah but then you have marstellar who was really overrated and maintained his status by not traveling. 

Didn't Marstellar compete in the Cadet Worlds (where he got hurt) and a senior level FS tourny in Puerto Rico prior to his senior year? In addition, I remember him winning the Super 32 his senior year (can't recall if that was his only year there) and competing in the FILA JRs while in HS (though not faring well).

I'm impartial to Chance, but he wrestled a pretty tough HS schedule. 

I think the knock on him, in my opinion, is he didn't beat the college/senior guys consistently like Fix, Valencia etc have done as of late. 

Edited by rlw028

Didn't Marstellar compete in the Cadet Worlds (where he got hurt) and a senior level FS tourny in Puerto Rico prior to his senior year? In addition, I remember him winning the Super 32 his senior year (can't recall if that was his only year there) and competing in the FILA JRs while in HS (though not faring well).

I'm impartial to Chance, but he wrestled a pretty tough HS schedule. 

I think the knock on him, in my opinion, is he didn't beat the college/senior guys consistently like Fix, Valencia etc have done as of late. 

Yes he did, jacked up his elbow.  Yes to the PR tourney as well.  Won Super 32 2 times.  Beat Ayala as a Soph, was injured his JR year I believe.  Won as a Sr against Lujan.

2x Fargo Champ as well.  

Hasn't wrestled an official collegiate match yet but has been labled a bust. I guess the kid will have to go undefeated and win the Hodge to satisfy the naysayers. The fact that he was recruited by possibly the best technician this country has ever produced and is wrestling for a perennial top 5 team should be, in my estimation, considered a success.

Honestly I just throw that out there to see who gets agitated. He was overrated though, by virtue of being considered #1 overall when he probably wasn't the best kid at his weight. 

PS who called him a bust? Everyone is so soft these days if you don't ride every hype train feelings get hurt. 

I think his accomplishments speak for themselves.  I have always felt he might be challenged at the next level because of his build not his wrestling abilities.  I believe at 5'6 and being as stocky as he is wrestling at 165/174 would be difficult.  Too many good kids with length and strength to neutralize him and stalemate his best shots.  The cut to 157 seemed difficult especially to a kid who has never had to cut.  As a PSU die hard I was disappointed we didn't end up with him, but I do feel he will have an excellent career.  4 time champ....doubtful unless it's at 157 and even there IMar could well be too  much for him.  I could see him progressing to be a 2 timer whith 1 or 2 more AAs in him.

If anyone calls that a bust heaven help all the wrestlers coming in!!

When he was wrestling in the PSU open and I saw his father, I thought he would be about 174 or above.  Little did I realize that the tall father figure was his step father and not his biological father.  Can't help but root for kids with less than ideal home lives.

Edited by BDB50

Hasn't wrestled an official collegiate match yet but has been labled a bust. I guess the kid will have to go undefeated and win the Hodge to satisfy the naysayers. The fact that he was recruited by possibly the best technician this country has ever produced and is wrestling for a perennial top 5 team should be, in my estimation, considered a success.

Only one Hodge? Bust.

Honestly I just throw that out there to see who gets agitated. He was overrated though, by virtue of being considered #1 overall when he probably wasn't the best kid at his weight. 

PS who called him a bust? Everyone is so soft these days if you don't ride every hype train feelings get hurt. 

So he wasn't #1 overall. That was Kyle Snyder. 

And he didn't duck tough competition by staying home.

Seriously, the only way you have to derail the "hype train" is by making stuff up?

So he wasn't #1 overall. That was Kyle Snyder. 

And he didn't duck tough competition by staying home.

Seriously, the only way you have to derail the "hype train" is by making stuff up?

I didn't make anything up. There were guys out there who woulda beaten him, ending his ridiculous reign at #1 Overall.

The part of it I didn't mean was that I judge him for it. Its not his job to run down all the best kids in the country. 

I think his accomplishments speak for themselves. I have always felt he might be challenged at the next level because of his build not his wrestling abilities. I believe at 5'6 and being as stocky as he is wrestling at 165/174 would be difficult. Too many good kids with length and strength to neutralize him and stalemate his best shots. The cut to 157 seemed difficult especially to a kid who has never had to cut. As a PSU die hard I was disappointed we didn't end up with him, but I do feel he will have an excellent career. 4 time champ....doubtful unless it's at 157 and even there IMar could well be too much for him. I could see him progressing to be a 2 timer whith 1 or 2 more AAs in him.

If anyone calls that a bust heaven help all the wrestlers coming in!!

When he was wrestling in the PSU open and I saw his father, I thought he would be about 174 or above. Little did I realize that the tall father figure was his step father and not his biological father. Can't help but root for kids with less than ideal home lives.

You can't help but root for kids who have step fathers? That equals less than ideal home lives in your estimation?

Guest Kingsland

Chance also didn't live at home the entirety of his senior year, and a big part of the reason he switched his commitment was so he could be farther from home I would say that's a less than ideal home life.

Edited by Kingsland

Chance also didn't live at home the entirety of his senior year, and a big part of the reason he switched his commitment was so he could be farther from home I would say that's a less than ideal home life.

that sounds much closer to it, saying he lived with a step father not so much. I am a step father, I beg to differ IMO.

Aviator........I may have been able to seperate the thoughts a bit better but I would never have thought anyone would mistake what I typed!  First, I was simply stating that I mistakenly assume the man who was at his events with Chance's mother was his biological father.  The man was well over 6 ft so I assumed Chance would grow much taller than what he has ended up (roughly 5'6").   The fact that he is his stepfather simply signifies that he would be brought up in a broken home (or at least he had lost his father prematurely) which in most instances means a very difficult situation.  And with those facts I am more able to understand why Chance could have felt he had to further himself from that home life.   And YES,  it is easier to root for him......except when he wrestles PSU.  

I would never say living with a stepfather needs to be a bad situation.  In many situations it is better and there have been reports that Chance was quite close to his step father.             

Edited by BDB50