Sign in to follow this  
ironmonkey

State of Rutgers

Typical wrestling nonsensence! Guy can't be a great coach unless he is an All American stud. Give me a break.

I have been in this sport for over 40 years. I am amazed at how bad the coaching is at the college level. I think some guys are just stupid.

Look at the NFL. Coach Belichick may be the best coach ever. At best he was an average player at a small D3 school in New England. By NCAA D1 standards, a guy like him wouldn't even get a job interview! Goodale was a tough kid in high school and college. He is doing an excelent job at Rutgers. As a sport, we need to get away from thinking that only wrestling studs can coach and sell wrestling.

My 2 cents.

Typical wrestling nonsensence! Guy can't be a great coach unless he is an All American stud. Give me a break.

I have been in this sport for over 40 years. I am amazed at how bad the coaching is at the college level. I think some guys are just stupid.

Look at the NFL. Coach Belichick may be the best coach ever. At best he was an average player at a small D3 school in New England. By NCAA D1 standards, a guy like him wouldn't even get a job interview! Goodale was a tough kid in high school and college. He is doing an excelent job at Rutgers. As a sport, we need to get away from thinking that only wrestling studs can coach and sell wrestling.

My 2 cents.

You don't have to be a great wrestler to be a great coach. No one complained about him being hired but he's failed; we are talking about the last 5 years. When you consider the Mason and Ashnault transfer, he had the #1 recruiting class in the nation (without the transfers, they was #2). Winston should be a 2x champ and instead, he might not even be a 1x AA. Other guys should be AAs at this point too.

Pritzlaff is the best name floated around here imo.

I'm amazed that they got another great class this year after the famous class underperformed. Let's not waste it.

My 2 cents.

Comparing coaching dynamics in football and wrestling is hard to do. I don't really see much similarity, but I get what you are trying to say.

There are only 4 teams inside the top 20 (using intermat rankings) who have head coaches who failed to AA in college. The four are Mizzou, Central Michigan, Northwestern and Binghamton.

Mizzou has Sammie Henson, Joe Johnston, Mark Ellis, Schavrian and Marable on staff, all of whom were AAs.

Central Michigan has AAs Stephen Dwyer and Jason Mester on their staff.

Northwestern has AAs Tim Cysewski, Matt Storniolo and Borschel on staff.

Binghamton has National Champion Teyon Ware on staff.

IMO, a large majority of the time, to be a successful Div I coach, you were probably a pretty successful division I wrestler as well. And the ones who weren't as successful seem to want to surround themselves with guys who were former Div I studs.

In football, the best coaches are rarely former super star players.

In wrestling, that doesn't seem to be the case, a majority of the time.

Winston should be a 2x champ and instead, he might not even be a 1x AA.

I agree with the "...he might not even be a 1x AA." part of this statement.

But regarding the "2x champ" thing, he would have had to go through Burroughs at least once (if not twice) and possibly Taylor once.

3 undefeated seasons and a couple of Hodge winners.

That's a little hard to believe; regardless of who was coaching him.

My 2 cents.

You don't have to be a great wrestler to be a great coach. No one complained about him being hired but he's failed; we are talking about the last 5 years. When you consider the Mason and Ashnault transfer, he had the #1 recruiting class in the nation (without the transfers, they was #2). Winston should be a 2x champ and instead, he might not even be a 1x AA. Other guys should be AAs at this point too.

Pritzlaff is the best name floated around here imo.

I'm amazed that they got another great class this year after the famous class underperformed. Let's not waste it.

Get off the guy's freaking back. All of the know it all keyboard geniuses want to start nonsense. SG is a good guy, a good coach, a hard working ambassador, and he wants to be there. Who else was looking for that job when Rutgers was in the dumper? Mason was somewhat questionable at Minny - all of a sudden he is going to be a world beater at RU? Ashnault could have won another match and AA'd - but didn't. Still had a nice career and is a good guy. How does SG come up short there?

Winston - definitely underperforming - so SG should be fired? Pritzlaff could have guaranteed that he would 4x AA?

Rutgers is neevr going to be PSU, Minny, or Iowa. That's OK - we like our coach, we like our team, and we like our progress. Would we want more - of course, but there is a whole lot more to do here than in Happy Valley or the frozen tundras of the Midwest. We root for our team and then we get on wit hour lives - this is not the be all end all.

Quit stirring the pot if you don't know the players. My guess is your boss could probably find someone that MAY be able to do your job better - should you be **** canned because dopes on the internet think it is cool?

Merry Christmas.

I agree SG is a good guy, and a hardworking ambassador for RU as both a school and wrestling program. I'd like to see him start to develop the talent he's recruited a little more, and I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way. Simply put, from that standpoint he hasn't done a great job.

As for RU not ever being a Minnesota, PSU, Iowa...why not? It's the primary school in a wrestling hotbed, has new facilities on the way, and is now in the premier conference in the country.

There's no reason at all that program can't consistently be a top team.

In football, the best coaches are rarely former super star players.

In wrestling, that doesn't seem to be the case, a majority of the time.

I once had a conversation with an accomplished baseball hitting instructor who told me: "You never want to go to a successful hitter, that was a natural, for hitting instruction. They, too often, have not had to study all the minor nuances of hitting because it just came naturally for them; they often struggle to pass along what made them successful."

When I hear this, I often think of Nate Carr. The guy was so quick and powerful and his accomplishments were great but when he teaches superducks to kids there are very few that can ever hope of using it in a match.

I often think this is why we see high school programs built to be very successful with guys who were B list wrestlers. They have had to study the sport so much to make up for their lack of ability and as a result have become great coaches.

As far as hiring accomplished wrestlers to fill out your staff, I just figure they are looking first and foremost at bringing in training partners. But does a staff have to roll with the athletes to be successful? It seems like you don't see that at other levels and they find success.

Head coaches are usually All-Americans and NCAA Champs because of the way most schools hire assistants. In order to be hired as an assistant coach at many schools, you have be a great wrestler capable of wrestling every day with All-American level wrestlers (I think Mark Cody came out and said this in a video on Flo within the last year or so). If those are the only guys getting hired as assistants, they are the only ones getting the experience needed to become head coaches.

Guys who were not D1 All-Americans aren't getting overlooked for head coaching jobs because they weren't good wrestlers. They are getting overlooked because they can't get the assistant coaching jobs needed to gain experience, so the qualified applicant pool is full of All-Americans who were given a chance early in their careers.

There are exceptions like the occasional non-AA high school coach who gets to jump straight to D1 like Goodale and Eslinger at UTC, but it's not that common.

Get off the guy's freaking back. All of the know it all keyboard geniuses want to start nonsense.

Rutgers is neevr going to be PSU, Minny, or Iowa. That's OK - we like our coach, we like our team, and we like our progress. Would we want more - of course, but there is a whole lot more to do here than in Happy Valley or the frozen tundras of the Midwest. We root for our team and then we get on wit hour lives - this is not the be all end all.

Quit stirring the pot if you don't know the players. My guess is your boss could probably find someone that MAY be able to do your job better - should you be **** canned because dopes on the internet think it is cool?

Merry Christmas.

Hmmm sucks to be a fan of this team considering we shouldn't discuss the team, we shouldn't want conference titles or AA individual honors, and if we do, we should expect to lose our jobs which in my case anyway, pays a fraction of what Coach Goodale is being paid? Sounds like maybe we should root for another team!!!

I must have been mistaken when I heard Rutgers was now a member of the BIG 10. Isn't that the big time?

I don't think discussing the team is stirring the pot. In my case anyway, I have very few friends who care about this sport, and the few who do, stopped following it as soon as they were done participating. Since I follow Rutgers and live in NJ, it is nice to hear what other fans are thinking about the progress of the program, just like guys talking on the train or the ferry in the morning before work about Sanchez, Eli Manning, Derek Jeter or Rex RYan, or perhaps more comparably, Rutgers football.

I am not a keyboard warrior. I was an average div 2 wrestler a long time ago and never have claimed to be anything more. I never implied I had the answers or that Gooddale was bad for the program. Perhaps others may have in this thread, but I didn't. I was simply talking sports. Perhaps that was my mistake. Maybe we should let the threads go back to Dake and Taylor and fans of programs never mentioned here should just continue to follow those teams in silence because they might offend someone associated with the program...

Goodale wasn't an All-American but he was definitely no slouch on the mat...He was a 2x NJ finalist in HS and won 99 collegiate bouts for a Lock Haven Team that was very good in the early 90's...He was a numerous NCAA Tournament qualifier and I stll remember him almost beating 3x NCAA Champ Joe Williams from Iowa in 2nd round of NCAA's held at UNC in a wild match..Goodale Lost 11-10

Hmmm sucks to be a fan of this team considering we shouldn't discuss the team, we shouldn't want conference titles or AA individual honors, and if we do, we should expect to lose our jobs which in my case anyway, pays a fraction of what Coach Goodale is being paid? Sounds like maybe we should root for another team!!!

I must have been mistaken when I heard Rutgers was now a member of the BIG 10. Isn't that the big time?

I am not a keyboard warrior. I was an average div 2 wrestler a long time ago and never have claimed to be anything more. I never implied I had the answers or that Gooddale was bad for the program. Perhaps others may have in this thread, but I didn't. I was simply talking sports. Perhaps that was my mistake. Maybe we should let the threads go back to Dake and Taylor and fans of programs never mentioned here should just continue to follow those teams in silence because they might offend someone associated with the program...

While I submit you'd like to be the focus here, clearly my diatribe wasn't directed at you and your general questions. Everyone can question the progress, that's cool. Discussing RU Wrestling - that's something that didn't happen before SG got there, so it is fantastic.

The never ending calling for SGs job by idiots is getting way past old. Are there people who might do a better job? Yes. Can they guarantee / quantify the improvement? No. Has he done a nice job bring the EIWA program forward? YES. Do we want to step it up now that we are in the B1G? Yes. With increased $$$ is that possible? Yes. For once let's give a good guy a chance instead of calling for blood.

While I submit you'd like to be the focus here, clearly my diatribe wasn't directed at you and your general questions. Everyone can question the progress, that's cool. Discussing RU Wrestling - that's something that didn't happen before SG got there, so it is fantastic.

The never ending calling for SGs job by idiots is getting way past old. Are there people who might do a better job? Yes. Can they guarantee / quantify the improvement? No. Has he done a nice job bring the EIWA program forward? YES. Do we want to step it up now that we are in the B1G? Yes. With increased $$$ is that possible? Yes. For once let's give a good guy a chance instead of calling for blood.

I have no interest in being the focus here other than to point out that some of us discussing this aren't sharks in the water circling the program, but simply fans from the area who have no real connection to the program other than a shared location and appreciation for the sport. I responded to your criticism because I started the thread, and would love to see an occasional thread about this team, even if it is negative. Like you said, discussing Rutgers wrestling is "fantastic"!

Saw Rutgers wrestle recently. One of the wrestlers was constantly talking back to the referee and that wrestler's father was sitting in the front row swearing at the official and the bench from the other team.

I fault the ref mostly for not taking more control, but I know on many teams including the one I was a walk on back up for, that conduct would not be tolerated. I had a very good opinion of SG and that wrestler before I witnessed that. My opinion of both and since changed.

I am impressed that Goodale brought in another high profile recruiting class. I thought his early classes were due to his involvement with Team NJ, but he has shown to be a solid recruiter throughout. He is also a solid marketer which is definitely needed as a coach.

The only area I see fault is with the way the team is prepared. Over the years the comments for individuals or the team as a whole has been, "he gassed", "lacks heart", "burned out", or "undisciplined". IMHO, that has only to do with how the team is prepared on a day to day basis in the room.

Head coaches are usually All-Americans and NCAA Champs because of the way most schools hire assistants. In order to be hired as an assistant coach at many schools, you have be a great wrestler capable of wrestling every day with All-American level wrestlers (I think Mark Cody came out and said this in a video on Flo within the last year or so). If those are the only guys getting hired as assistants, they are the only ones getting the experience needed to become head coaches.

Guys who were not D1 All-Americans aren't getting overlooked for head coaching jobs because they weren't good wrestlers. They are getting overlooked because they can't get the assistant coaching jobs needed to gain experience, so the qualified applicant pool is full of All-Americans who were given a chance early in their careers.

There are exceptions like the occasional non-AA high school coach who gets to jump straight to D1 like Goodale and Eslinger at UTC, but it's not that common.

+1

Interesting hypothesis.

I am impressed that Goodale brought in another high profile recruiting class. I thought his early classes were due to his involvement with Team NJ, but he has shown to be a solid recruiter throughout. He is also a solid marketer which is definitely needed as a coach.

The only area I see fault is with the way the team is prepared. Over the years the comments for individuals or the team as a whole has been, "he gassed", "lacks heart", "burned out", or "undisciplined". IMHO, that has only to do with how the team is prepared on a day to day basis in the room.

Obviously he was Scotti's HS coach. And since Scotti was pfp the best in NJ and PFP ranked #2 in the country, I think other NJ studs followed.

Goodale has a relationship with South Plainfield, so I called long ago that he'd end up there. That may or may not have helped him get the other top guys in this year's class.

why? you take high school wrestling too seriously

He was ranked #2 in the county. Not only at his weight, but in the power rankings too. Did you really think he'd be going into his 5th season without evening being an AA yet? And Mason was the best in the country at his weight. Have to blame the coach here, these guys aren't any better now than they were as freshman.

One year I remember the top PFP top guys were Metcalf, Schlatter and Nickerson, all went on to be national champions.