Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Marable can Still win 70KG

They mentioned tonight that he did not miss weight, but got injured. 

No info was provided on nature of injury.

If injury allows for it, he can request a challenge (2 of 3) against Green. 

Bizarre timing. I saw someone on twitter (not sure how credible) claims that Bradley mentioned to someone that Marable couldn't make weight. Again, not sure how credible, but makes you wonder.

Are you referring to Marable who beat Burroughs or are you thinking Dake or Taylor will beat Burroughs today?  The former already happened and the latter most likely won't.

Yes, he was referring to Marable, the guy that has never won a world medal; or an NCAA championship for that matter. IF that win wasn't a fluke , then why his he cutting all that weight to avoid Burrroughs?…and Taylor and Dake who have defeated him as well. 

Marable should be out, especially if he missed weight and then claimed an injury. I hope USA wrestling gets this one right. The guy has done nothing to deserve special consideration. James Green showed up and won. He should represent the USA; he earned it. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

No one knows for sure which came first, the injury or the weight issues. There have been numerous "special" wrestle-offs for spots and this would be no different. I would suspect that USAW requires a doctor's certification that there is an injury.

No one knows for sure which came first, the injury or the weight issues. There have been numerous "special" wrestle-offs for spots and this would be no different. I would suspect that USAW requires a doctor's certification that there is an injury.

Two times in a row Mr. Dole got it right. Notice how i foucs on the message not the messanger, Bob?

None of us know the details of what really happened, when it happened, how it happened, the order in happened, etc..  It's the job of USA Wrestling to put the best USA team into World's as possible -- whilte balancing fairness to the competitors.  I grant them the trust that they will consider all info that is brought to them by the parties with a vested interest and make a fair decision.

Now having said that, once again the wrestling media (does one exist?) has failed to do any decent reporting on the subject.  We are left to rumors found through social media and vague information related during a FLO stream to form opinions.

This is how conspiracy theories and mistrust get out of control.

Edited by Angry_Fish

I agree and I think that Flo while excellent in so many ways are still a little backwater. They don't seem to have a journalistic policy that covers how to report on potentially inflammatory topics and topics where fans will be clamoring for more information. They issue statements that they are "stunned" that Marable and Hoch miss weight and don't provide follow-up of any kind. If they had more resources -- and yes I think resources are the central the issue -- they would go track down a coach or a pal or someone from the sauna and start asking questions. And to be clear Flo is doing a terrific job for who they are but they either don't know or don't have the resources to get to the bottom of these stories. 

I mean talk about letting the mob in the back gate. Maybe Marable is injured but doesn't want anyone to know. Maybe he knew he wasn't going to make weight so faked an injury. Maybe he partied too much. Maybe he pulled a Mark Schultz 1988 world team trials sans the making weight. Maybe someone paid him to miss weight and he said he wouldn't and they injured him. It's all insane and I don't believe any of it. I assume there is a more innocent explanation. But for Flo to first say he isn't making weight and then only later introducing the injury and noting that Green or DS still might have to wrestler Marable is terrible. Worse, when precisely will that happen? If I'm Green I want to start training for the worlds and know my schedule. 

Meanwhile Marable isn't so impressive in my view that anyone would be going out of their way to give the guy a break. 

For the record, no one from Marable's camp has said anything on the record, so thus, there's no way to get that side of the story, making any balanced and complete reporting on the subject impossible. The only thing that's clear is Marable didn't weigh in and is filing an injury extension request. That's all there is to the official story at the moment. Anything that isn't from Sunkist or Marable himself is second hand and not a valid source to cite. No one's talking, which means we can't write/report anything other than second hand information -- and THAT, my friends, is irresponsible journalism. 

Edited by JasonBryant

The wrestling media is the only media that doesn't have 'sources' that are willing to give inside info to generate buzz and create stories. How often do we read an article saying "A source within the Patriots front office" or something to that effect when dealing with major sports but when it comes to wrestling we never see that type of thing. I am not sure if it is a byproduct of the small and tightknit community or if wrestlers and their support staffs are just more tight-lipped.

That isn't necessarily an indictment of any individual journalist or media outlet but something I have noticed the last few years.

JB, I can't disagree with your statement...my question is, has/did anyone from FLO or anyone else actually try and ask Marable or Sunkist?  If not, that's where I'd be disappointed.  I'll assume someone has tried to get some info but they have declined to comment.  

During the broadcast early on day 1, one of the Flo announcers said Marable had left Madison already. The whole thing is fishy. I don't want to falsely accuse anyone of anything, but I hope USA Wrestling conducts a pretty thorough investigation into what happened before making Green win the spot a second time.