Sign in to follow this  
Katie

I enjoyed the Taylor-and-Dake-are-as-good-as-Burroughs era

Going at the whistle proves JB is one smart and aggressive competitor ... all part of being the best. Dake may end up an improved competitor if he learns from this.

It was smart.He planned to time his shot to anticipate the whistle. But smart or not it was jumping the gun. Should Dake have been ready anyway? I think most competitors don't anticipate an opponent shooting before the whistle. But it worked.Lessons learned I guess.    

Lol are you seriously criticizing Burroughs for trying to get the quickest possible jump off the whistle? If it was before the whistle (which it didn't seem to be IMO), then it's the ref's fault for not calling it. "Cheap shot"?!?...give me a break. That's like saying it's a "cheap shot" when a D-Lineman jumps the snap and the refs fail to call offsides.

There is a fine line between getting the quickest jump on the whistle and shooting before the whistle even blows. And you are absolutely right. A ref will never call it if you don't make it completely blatant.

Guest Kingsland

Even if JB shot early I doubt it was intentional, he was trying to get the best possible jump off the whistle (which I thought he did). It's on the refs to call a caution and stop the action, no fault of Burroughs on that.

Even if JB shot early I doubt it was intentional, he was trying to get the best possible jump off the whistle (which I thought he did). It's on the refs to call a caution and stop the action, no fault of Burroughs on that.

I think it was an intentional effort to anticipate the whistle. He was already in motion before the whistle. He clearly was not reacting to the whistle. He already had his ankle at 5:33 and the whistle sounded at 5:34. Everything is happening so fast there is no way a ref is going to be able to catch it. (His early jump in the Leen match was as blatant as you can get and the ref didn't call it because there was just enough shadow of a doubt).Everyone wants to say this is sour grapes but we saw a competitor in the WTT finals shot before the whistle and have an 8-0 lead before anyone blinked. It was a matter of split seconds (he shook Dake's hand, shot and caught the ankle all in the space of 5:33), but it is a big difference because it was an attempt to catch an opponent before he is set. Whether intended or just mistimed it happened. Should Dake have been ready for anything, etc?  In hindsight absolutely.   

The only point I will make is the qualifying system is antiquated in my mind, but.....

Dake could've chosen to wrestle in the US Open and didn't.

Tough to knock off someone of JB's caliber after taking out Sponseller, Howe, and Taylor.

I doubt Kyle would offer any excuses.

Even if Dake had wrestled in the U.S. Open he still would have had to win the challenge tournament to face Burroughs in the WTT. So as far as I can tell the Open wouldn't have made a difference for him.

Not that fast. He fooled the ref but not the clock. If you get away with it it is a veteran move. I guess.

Not that fast. He fooled the ref but not the clock. If you get away with it it is a veteran move. I guess.

What does the rule book have to say about all this? Please post the actual rule that was violated so we can review the video for ourselves.

The only rule I ever saw is that you get a caution if you start too quickly. 

Strangely I started thinking of a traditional song. Something like:

Jordan Burroughs is the best, but he shot before the whistle.

Jordan Burroughs gold medalist, but he shot before the whistle,

Jordan Burroughs can't be beat, but he shot before the whistle,

Jordan Burroughs left his feet and shot before the whistle,

He shot, he shot, he shot, he shot, he shot before the whistle,

He shot, he shot, he shot, he shot, he shot beforeeeee the whistle.

That's the signal for me to bail out. Now I'm just going to enjoy the WC.   

Your the best around nothing gonna ever keep you down

Your the best around nothing gonna ever keep you Dow-ow-ow-own

Ah you gott be proud

Starin out in the cloud

When the odds(Taylor and Dake fans and haters) in the game defy you

Try your best to win them all

And one day time will tell

When you're the one that's standing there

You'll reach the final bell

Suck it straggler

Edited by CaliWrestler

there should be an NIT type event before the worlds for all the awesome wrestlers than are stuck behind team mates. So much talent being left home in Russia, Iran and the US. and not an exhibition, we need cash prizes. 

probably can't do a round robin though if it's multiple guys from the same country. 

I can imagine the crowds that would pull in

Right now, I would not put Dake in the same category as Taylor, as in the "Dake and Taylor" era. Dake has clearly demonstrated this past weekend, that he dominates Taylor, despite being out a while with serious injuries. 

Jmho, but Dake could close the gap with Burrough in the next 1-2 years. Taylor just fell farther back ...into a distant 3rd. Talented as Taylor is, it is hard to see him representing USA anytime soon at 74 kg (barring injuries to both Burroughs and Dake). 

Bulk up to 84kg, GR, MMA? Hard to know the future, but Taylor needs to think about plan B. 

Even if Dake had wrestled in the U.S. Open he still would have had to win the challenge tournament to face Burroughs in the WTT. So as far as I can tell the Open wouldn't have made a difference for him.

True.  I forgot that JB didn't wrestle in the Open either.  I think that we should mimic Russia ultimately but if we are going to keep the same system then we should make all potential World/Olympic Reps wrestle in the Open to earn the 2/3 match or just go by the challenge tournament finals 2/3.  You should have to earn your way every year on a level scale.