Sign in to follow this  
headlock

Why making the 2-outta-3 separate makes sense.

I am all for giving past medalist/ US open winners a reward. They get that in the form of skipping the trials straight to the finals. Making the 2-outta-3 two hours after the challenge tournament is unfair, un-American, and counter-productive. Stacking the deck for any particular athlete does not ensure the best wrestler goes. What is the win rate for someone going through the challenge tournament and winning the 2/3? I am sure this is only possible when they are much better than their opponent. Not only did Metcalf and Snyder win, but they won more convincingly than a month ago. Same goes for Ramos, and Herbert.   To think these guys are the only ones getter better in a month is naïve. It was as obvious as ever, how big of an advantage this is. Frankly, I don’t care who makes the show, but I want our representative to earn it fairly.

Mo Lawal didn’t deserve to go instead of Hrovat even if he had a better shot to medal. Simmons didn’t deserve to go even if he would have medaled and Haze didn’t. That’s the point. To represent the US you have to beat everyone here. Their success at the next level doesn’t matter. Imagine if in the 2016 Olympics Usain Bolt got to wait through all the prelims and challenge whoever makes it through two hours later for Gold. It ridiculous.

Now let’s think about entertainment value. What could be better than having two weeks to hype Burroughs/Dake? Everybody always complains about long tournament and their adverse effect on spectators. Take the US Open champ or past World Champ and pair them up with the winner of the trials two weeks later. Put it in a good venue and charge $50 a seat. Put it on TV for 90 minutes. You want the highest rated wrestling event, there you go. 

I am all for giving past medalist/ US open winners a reward. They get that in the form of skipping the trials straight to the finals. Making the 2-outta-3 two hours after the challenge tournament is unfair, un-American, and counter-productive. Stacking the deck for any particular athlete does not ensure the best wrestler goes. What is the win rate for someone going through the challenge tournament and winning the 2/3? I am sure this is only possible when they are much better than their opponent. Not only did Metcalf and Snyder win, but they won more convincingly than a month ago. Same goes for Ramos, and Herbert.   To think these guys are the only ones getter better in a month is naïve. It was as obvious as ever, how big of an advantage this is. Frankly, I don’t care who makes the show, but I want our representative to earn it fairly.

Mo Lawal didn’t deserve to go instead of Hrovat even if he had a better shot to medal. Simmons didn’t deserve to go even if he would have medaled and Haze didn’t. That’s the point. To represent the US you have to beat everyone here. Their success at the next level doesn’t matter. Imagine if in the 2016 Olympics Usain Bolt got to wait through all the prelims and challenge whoever makes it through two hours later for Gold. It ridiculous.

Now let’s think about entertainment value. What could be better than having two weeks to hype Burroughs/Dake? Everybody always complains about long tournament and their adverse effect on spectators. Take the US Open champ or past World Champ and pair them up with the winner of the trials two weeks later. Put it in a good venue and charge $50 a seat. Put it on TV for 90 minutes. You want the highest rated wrestling event, there you go. 

How are the WTTs un-American?

Geez. Back in the day everyone was complaining that defending world medallists were getting knocked off and the coaches should pick the team. Now it's unfair that they get a bye.

Btw everyone other than Burroughs went through the US open and won the spot that way. That's not unfair. If you think Dake beats Burroughs if he's more rested then ok. I disagree.

Geez. Back in the day everyone was complaining that defending world medallists were getting knocked off and the coaches should pick the team. Now it's unfair that they get a bye.

Btw everyone other than Burroughs went through the US open and won the spot that way. That's not unfair. If you think Dake beats Burroughs if he's more rested then ok. I disagree.

Not that they get a bye, that they get to wrestle fresh vs a guy who ran the gauntlet all day.

The only finals match up that might have changed was Snyder vs Varner. They are pretty even and giving Snyder the Bye was huge in that one. Not that Snyder would not have won, he beat Varner 2-1 when all was equal. But with that said I like the current format. 

Edited by PRyan2012

While we appreciate people calling it "lots of tears" and "whining", some people are actually trying to fight against injustices in the system and you could at least address their arguments with some sense of humility.

While we appreciate people calling it "lots of tears" and "whining", some people are actually trying to fight against injustices in the system and you could at least address their arguments with some sense of humility.

LOL @ injustices.

It's not an injustice. It's a deliberate attempt to get proven preformers back into the worlds without the subjectivity of picking the team. You can like it or not (personally I don't particularly care) but it's not accidental.

injustices. haha, good one.

has any of the actual wrestlers ever made their opinions on this topic known? 

The snide remarks are adorable, but nobody's made an argument that holds any water against the arguments presented- besides armspin who at least attempted to, and even he admits that one day could be a good idea.

Tell Kyle Dake he's a drama queen.  It's easy to say things over a message board when the only thing you see at stake is some random dude named "supyall46" responding angrily.  These are people's lives and careers we're talking about. The same people's lives and careers that you spend all year watching for entertainment.

Edited by supyall46

I don't like the whole tournament and best of three series done in one day. A better method would be the mini tournament over Fri and Sat and the best of three being Sunday morning and afternoon. If a third match is necessary have an evening session. At that level we should be giving the courtesy of at least 2 hours between matches. That whole Olympic finishing the weight class in one day is a load of crap. Not sure what the format is now.

well, i would take this method over the old method

some of you might be old enuff to remember the days of politics etc.

and if you aren't, there is a good read out there, wrestlers at the trials.

well, its not that good of a read, but a definite pattern of whining shows up, when guys who won the trials, ultimately were not on the team.

I would take earning it (even w/ an advantage) over politics ANYDAY.

Jaroslav, I like you as a poster and agree with the vast majority of your posts. You have always been a level headed source of discussion and reason on these boards. I wish you wouldn't try to trivialize my argument or the discussion at hand with your personal insults. It's a bit disheartening.

All I'm saying is, I think there exists a format that would be much fairer to all athletes competing for a World team spot and could level the playing field. Sorry if I upset anyone.