IronChef

Weird tweet from Burroughs

"I've represented the USA at 74kg, with the utmost class, respect, and dominance since 2011. Shame on anyone who rooted against me today." (https://twitter.com/alliseeisgold/status/610270749144809474?s=17)

That's not how sports works,JB. People get to root for whoever they want, and there's no shame in that unless the guy you're rooting for is a Mayweather-level dirtbag.

Personally I think Burroughs gets disrespected too much. He's already a top-5 US freestyler all time -- and he's still solidly in his prime -- but people have been acting like Dake and Taylor could do what he does. There is still no evidence they can. It would annoy me, too. 

I also think he is extremely disciplined with his public persona. Compare his twitter feed to Askren's, for example. 

If you are a fan of the sport of wrestling, you should be rooting for Jordan Burroughs.  I don't care if you are a PSU or Cornell fan (unless your last name is Dake or Taylor).  He has done so much for the sport, and his continued success will help grow its popularity. 

If he wins worlds this year and qualifies for the olympics in 2016, he has the chance to be one of the biggest stars on team USA regardless of sport.  He's the type of guy NBC loves to get behind and play up.  Nobody will care about Dake or Taylor outside of the wrestling community.  A 3X world champ and 1X olympic champ, going for "history" against his Russian and Iranian rivals...That can be marketed. 

Also, he's exciting to watch.  He puts points up on everyone, and his matches frequently come down to the wire where he always seems to score when needed.  Burroughs is a combination of the skills and consistency of Smith and the marketability of Cejudo.

The tweet was self-serving. Not a big deal, but this wasn't an international competition. Of course there will be people rooting against him! 

In Vegas, against the world, everyone will be in JB's corner, including Dake and Taylor, rooting him on. 

But this was the WTT, a domestic affair. Does he really expect 100% of all fans to want him to win over guys who might have a closer emotional tie to some fans? Gimme a break.