IronChef

Weird tweet from Burroughs

Lol did Denis let you back on the internet to take another shot at Burroughs?

Never said anything critical of Burroughs in my life. I criticized the WTT format. 

But in this instance I am criticizing. He shot before the whistle even sounded. Heck, he had Dake's ankle before the whistle stopped blowing. Just because he is a gold medalists doesn't mean that he didn't jump the gun in this case. He was shooting before the whistle even sounded.  

Sounds like Dake should have challenged.

Burroughs was not reacting to the whistle. He was trying to anticipate it which put him in motion before the whistle even sounded. If the ref doesn't stop action, it is just tough luck. Same thing happened in the Jordan Leen match. You can even argue that it is a clever strategy because a ref will not overturn a situation where a competitor starts a few split seconds before the whistle. But the video doesn't lie. He shot in the same breath and motion as he shoke Dake's hand. 

A great champ but that tweet is a contradiction - self proclaiming yourself the utmost in class is not the utmost in class ... In the past JB has generated fan support by being gracious and humble in victory, hate to see hIm lose that. Still, if this anger at not being everyone's favorite puts a fire in his belly, whose to say it doesn't motivate him to be even more dominant then he already is for many years to come.

Edited by swoopdown

I can't recall anyone not respecting the champ on this forum leading up to the final. I'll bet it was crowd noise in the arena.

I was wondering about crowd noise myself - JB is experiencing the backup Quarterback syndrome .... People speculating a highly rated newcomer is going to be better then a proven starter. In actuality, change is more often then not disappointing.

I can't recall anyone not respecting the champ on this forum leading up to the final.  I'll bet it was crowd noise in the arena.

There were plenty that did not agree with the 4 pointer in the first match in the arena, that's for sure. I don't think they were specifically upset with Burroughs though..

It's definitely not classy to tweet out questioning fans for liking other wrestlers as well. People like underdogs and want to see someone push JB. To many he appears to put on this humble front while being full of himself. Just the way he is beginning to come off.

Odd tweet.  Fans will root for who they want to in the domestic competition.  For instance, if you choose "Return of the Mack" for your entrance music, I will root for you in all things.  When he goes to the World's and other international competitions, then I could understand being miffed about US citizens/fans rooting for other people.

I thought so. You are now on the "list" congrats

When other wrestlers engage in questionable tactics or show questionable sportsmanship they get criticized. Burroughs is no exception. This is not exactly a Class A felony. It was shooting just before the whistle.It worked. 

I saw JB's tweet yesterday and responded.  I have met him 6-7 times at clinics, camps, various events and even a hotel lobby at the southern scuffle with my boys.  Every single time JB has been a complete gentleman!  He is clearly the face of our sport in the States. 

I didnt care for the tweet, nor i did i like his reaction to the end of the match...however i have always been a bigger fan of Barry Sanders than Deion Sanders, lol.  Thats just preference and everyone has their own.  i will without a doubt cheer for him in Vegas.   I just dont think you can tell a Dake fan or a DT fan if that was the match up who to support or cheer for in a qualifying event. 

JB has always been very confident (cocky?) in his tweets. Remember "my next tweet will be me with the gold medal"? I feel like he has a real sense of history and his place in it; wants to be the best ever and so on. It's probably annoying to be, what, 8-0 against Dake and Taylor and keep hearing that this is their year and that Dake somehow got cheated. That or a bunch of people were mouthing him off on twitter.

That said people can cheer for whoever they want. I wish Burroughs hadn't tweeted that. As someone else mentioned he will get plenty of love in Vegas.