Sign in to follow this  
dtl38

Wrestle off at 70KG?

They did not cite an official source, but Willie and Christian's podcast speculated that based on all the inside hearsay there will be a wrestle-off.  The problem of course is that people heard Marable wouldn't make weight before the injury issue was broached, so it gets into thorny territory, but without contrary evidence going by the current rules you have to grant a wrestle-off.  I know that the Junior Team wrestle off is supposed to be June 27th if McKenna chooses to challenge for the 60kg spot (or Snyder technically, don't see that happening).  Maybe the senior wrestle off would be that same day.  I doubt they announce anything until it creeps up.

They did not cite an official source, but Willie and Christian's podcast speculated that based on all the inside hearsay there will be a wrestle-off.  The problem of course is that people heard Marable wouldn't make weight before the injury issue was broached, so it gets into thorny territory, but without contrary evidence going by the current rules you have to grant a wrestle-off.  I know that the Junior Team wrestle off is supposed to be June 27th if McKenna chooses to challenge for the 60kg spot (or Snyder technically, don't see that happening).  Maybe the senior wrestle off would be that same day.  I doubt they announce anything until it creeps up.

Actually USA Wrestling Tweeted that Nick Marable peititoned to wrestle off at a later date, and they made sure to refer to Green as the "World Team Trials Champion" as opposed to everyone else who they made a big deal that they made a World Team.

Here is the Tweet from USA from last Saturday: https://twitter.com/USAWrestling/status/609865410142302209

Edited by hawktalk3

did Mckenna blow weight for world team trials?

So the source I heard was incorrect, more or less, regarding a potential wrestle-off for Marable-Green, which I'm glad about.  Perhaps they were leaning toward yes before and after it became more transparent what was happening rescinded that impulse.

As for McKenna, he wrestled Seniors and (perhaps more importantly) qualified to compete in seniors thus his ability to challenge the Junior WTT champ, just like Kyle Snyder.  Interestingly he competed up at 66kg for Seniors and would have to do a challenge wrestle-off at 60kg for the Junior World Team Spot.  I assume that's because him and Snyder have previously medaled at Junior Worlds.

Edited by bwh27

So the source I heard was incorrect, more or less, regarding a potential wrestle-off for Marable-Green, which I'm glad about.  Perhaps they were leaning toward yes before and after it became more transparent what was happening rescinded that impulse.

As for McKenna, he wrestled Seniors and (perhaps more importantly) qualified to compete in seniors thus his ability to challenge the Junior WTT champ, just like Kyle Snyder.  Interestingly he competed up at 66kg for Seniors and would have to do a challenge wrestle-off at 60kg for the Junior World Team Spot.  I assume that's because him and Snyder have previously medaled at Junior Worlds.

Marable needed to make weight since the request was within 18 hours of the weigh-in. He did not, thus he couldn't get an exemption. This is pretty black and white for once.