Sign in to follow this  
Billyhoyle

Is Asgarov Back?

I haven't caught any of Asgarov's matches from the Euro Games, but is it safe to say he is rounding back into form?  He was really the breakout star of the '12 olympics in wrestling, and was pretty dominant even over Kudukhov....Most thought he'd go on a run, but I guess he took some time off and then needed to adjust to the weight gain.  Kind of amazing that he's only 22. 

It always seems like there are a couple of supreme talents like this who are really only focused on the Olympics and don't care so much about winning the world championships every year.  Mavlet Batirov comes to my mind, who was untouchable in '04 and '07/'08, but otherwise fairly quiet.  Who else was able to do this successfully?  Maybe Taymezov could qualify given he has more olympic than world golds.  A couple of not so successful attempts come to mind (Cejudo, Quintana, possibly Varner). 

I haven't caught any of Asgarov's matches from the Euro Games, but is it safe to say he is rounding back into form?  He was really the breakout star of the '12 olympics in wrestling, and was pretty dominant even over Kudukhov....Most thought he'd go on a run, but I guess he took some time off and then needed to adjust to the weight gain.  Kind of amazing that he's only 22. 

It always seems like there are a couple of supreme talents like this who are really only focused on the Olympics and don't care so much about winning the world championships every year.  Mavlet Batirov comes to my mind, who was untouchable in '04 and '07/'08, but otherwise fairly quiet.  Who else was able to do this successfully?  Maybe Taymezov could qualify given he has more olympic than world golds.  A couple of not so successful attempts come to mind (Cejudo, Quintana, possibly Varner). 

The Japanese wrestler Uetake won two Olympics and didn't compete in anything else internationally.  Other japanese did pretty similar. North Koreans do it all the time. I think they wrestle then go into the military and become much better off than most wrestlers in the USA.  

Asgarov is a beast and it's great to see that he appears to be settling into the weight that he struggled with since 2012. That kid was unreal in 2012. I'd love to see him move back to the level he wrestled at some three years and 25-ish pounds ago.

That said, Chamizo really loves that whizzer kick and it seems to be about a 50/50 venture for him anymore. Not only did Asgarov use Chamizo's own move to stick him, but Chamizo also gave up four in the semis on the same move against the Romanian.

Asgarov is a beast and it's great to see that he appears to be settling into the weight that he struggled with since 2012. That kid was unreal in 2012. I'd love to see him move back to the level he wrestled at some three years and 25-ish pounds ago.

That said, Chamizo really loves that whizzer kick and it seems to be about a 50/50 venture for him anymore. Not only did Asgarov use Chamizo's own move to stick him, but Chamizo also gave up four in the semis on the same move against the Romanian.

I think really prepped opponents are looking for that whizzer/inside kick--Chamizo needs another technique in the whizzer position on the knees because people will be waitng to jump on that.

Asgarov is a great wrestler but he seems to have a little bit of an issue with his gas tank. He gives up a lot of late match points after building a big lead.

As far as wrestlers having more success on the big show (Olympics) versus the worlds.. I think there are too many factors to draw out a narrative that applies to all wrestlers who have more Olympic success than success in other tournaments. Mavlet Batirov has struggled with injuries and retired early. Cubans are notorious for selling matches. Varner had success in close matches under the old best of 3 periods rules and has had little success since. We should be careful to avoid using simplistic narratives to explain complex events, saying some people just 'rise to the occasion'. Cejudo and Varner had good draws and benefited from upsets. I'm sure there are many factors at play.

Edited by manyak

This is probably total anecdotal BS but it seems to me that most of the wrestlers who move up from 60/61kgs to 65/66kgs often struggle for quite awhile.  Don't see it as much to me from 55 to 60 nor even bigger weights like 86 to 96. 

I love the fact that Asgarov and Chamizo are competing against each other again, especially in the European Games, given that they wrestled when Chamizo was supposedly 17 and Toghrul was about the same in 2010(?).  I figured that eventually Asgarov would grow into this weight given his height; I'm extremely glad he has because seeing a competitor of his talent underperform due to size or strength (aka in between weights) is unfortunate. 

Asgarov wasnt in good shape but he still managed to win European games, it just shows how talanted he is. Due to lack of competetion in past years and "bad training"(in fact he wasnt training at all after Ollympic until 2014) + knee injury, he lost his form. Its really hard to get back on track after 2 years of absence. I highly doubt that he will win the WC, he get out of gas really fast. He will need some time. But he is slowly getting in shape and hopefully in 2016 he will be ready to fire.