Sign in to follow this  
PRyan2012

Kyle Snyder

What this guy did is not getting nearly the attention it deserves. He beat not only the Olympic champ and made the senior world team but he did it at 19 years old. What he did is much more impressive than all of the other guys combined. Not really sure why it is not the main topic anywhere? Has anyone done what Kyle has done at this age? They should not have held him from seniors last year but maybe it was the right decision-Kyle admitted he could not beat Varner last year in live goes. SO what changed so much in one year? I remember everyone praising Varner for making the team as a junior in college and all on here were praising him. Where is the love for Kyle?

Edited by PRyan2012

True on Varner being off a bit but still. Pretty amazing accomplishment with little press. I remember this time last year Snyder wanted to wrestle seniors and the gurus told him no you are not ready. Kinda of reminds me of the Toby Keith song "How do you like me now". No one seems to want to talk about it.   

I agree.  TOTAL stud.  He stays in such good position the entire time.  

I'm sure it's a given he takes an Olympic Red shirt next year.  Question is, should he even return to Ohio State after that?  Selfishly, I'd like to see him continue focusing on freestyle (while continuing his studies in college obviously).  

Glane, I'm with you. If anyone should've taken the Pico route other than Pico himself, it's Snyder.

I also agree Snyder is getting a dampened response for a historic and unbelievable feat. My view on it is it's less a style issue and more related to the fans getting used to surreal performance out of HS aged kids. Being an NCAA 4xer is not what it used to be even in the Dake era just a couple years ago, and doing extremely well in HS or as a freshman is also not as irregular as it used to be.

But even by those standards, Snyder is getting a fraction of the love he deserves. How Flo AND Themat didn't pick him as their wrestler of the week is beyond me.

I know there is speculation about Snyder competing in the Pan Am's but does anyone know if Kyle and others are going to enter any of the other tourneys this summer, like the Ion Cornianu, or the Ziolkowski ? I realize that 97KG is a tough weight class but I think Kyle is in the hunt for a medal in Sept.

I'm sure it's a given he takes an Olympic Red shirt next year.  Question is, should he even return to Ohio State after that?  Selfishly, I'd like to see him continue focusing on freestyle (while continuing his studies in college obviously).  

He needs to wrestle college again for a few reasons.  He will surely red-shirt next year and get his education paid for but will have to pay for at least two more years of college. Further, Tom Ryan and Lou Roselli and the OSU program gets taken to task for sitting their' guys mid-season and forfeiting matches that the wrestler seemed capable of wrestling. This is to lessen the chance for injury and burnout.   My guess is he can sit and wrestle as much or as little as m he needs.  Plus he can stay around Tervel, Tommy Rowlands who wrestles very much like Kyle, JD Bergman, Pucillo, Ross Thatcher, and other local big studs. Most of the big Freestyle events are the college off-season.   And OSU seemed to do Kyle some good this year, mostly just toughening him uo more and more.  

Unless he plans to go into fighting, and assuming he wants to one day coach wrestling, he would be smart to finish his collegiate career after the Olympic Redshirt.  There's really only one good freestyle coaching position in this country, while a number of great jobs are available in folkstyle.  Especially given the emphasis on the RTC programs, being a top collegiate coach is really the premier location in coaching (look at the switch Zeke made from being the top freestyle coach).

It might be prudent to focus some on Freestyle year round with Tervel and JD while still competing in folkstyle.  

People in the US care more about folkstyle wrestling and think being a 4 timer or 3 timer is more important than being an Olympic medalist. Also Varner is wrestling poorly. Maybe he was better under the old rules.

I wonder if Varner will hang them up, or take another run at Kyle?  I'd love to see him help Kyle develop a la Dave Schultz and Kenny Monday. Bergman will surely help Kyle, as will Rowlands, Tervel, even guys like Stieber.  Floating around Clolumbus right now is former world silver medalist Mark the Hammer Coleman, world team member and NCAA champ at 197 Rex Holman, NCAA Champ Mike Pucillo, NCAA Champ Mitch Clark, 2x NCAA Champ Kevin Randleman, maybe Keith Gavin, not sure....Tommy Rowlands, Ross Thatcher, Tervel Dlagnev, and some othes I am forgetting.  He can get so many looks and ideas and tactics, it is a real blessing for him at that weight, perhaps OSU's best weights ever. Kyle is in the land of big studs.  Mark Kerr came from Toledo but wrestled Syracuse.  There are tons of big dudes to grab and toss around.  I see Kyle in the top 3, though that weight is surely stacked.  

Unless he plans to go into fighting, and assuming he wants to one day coach wrestling, he would be smart to finish his collegiate career after the Olympic Redshirt.  There's really only one good freestyle coaching position in this country, while a number of great jobs are available in folkstyle.  Especially given the emphasis on the RTC programs, being a top collegiate coach is really the premier location in coaching (look at the switch Zeke made from being the top freestyle coach).

It might be prudent to focus some on Freestyle year round with Tervel and JD while still competing in folkstyle.  

Being a head coach of a college sport is often more about recruiting and management. I don't see why he couldn't be a top coach if Snyder ends up with just 1 All-American finish and a bunch of international medals.

He would likely fit right into coaching at the RTC someday though.  He tervel and Tommy could be kinda like the USA's heavyweight training spot, though Cael and a few others have a ton to offer as well. 

I wonder if Varner will hang them up, or take another run at Kyle?  I'd love to see him help Kyle develop a la Dave Schultz and Kenny Monday. Bergman will surely help Kyle, as will Rowlands, Tervel, even guys like Stieber.  Floating around Clolumbus right now is former world silver medalist Mark the Hammer Coleman, world team member and NCAA champ at 197 Rex Holman, NCAA Champ Mike Pucillo, NCAA Champ Mitch Clark, 2x NCAA Champ Kevin Randleman, maybe Keith Gavin, not sure....Tommy Rowlands, Ross Thatcher, Tervel Dlagnev, and some othes I am forgetting.  He can get so many looks and ideas and tactics, it is a real blessing for him at that weight, perhaps OSU's best weights ever. Kyle is in the land of big studs.  Mark Kerr came from Toledo but wrestled Syracuse.  There are tons of big dudes to grab and toss around.  I see Kyle in the top 3, though that weight is surely stacked.  

Seems like you love discussing wrestling history, nothing is wrong with that, but I highly doubt Mark Kerr or Mark Coleman are going to work out with Snyder. Have you seen them lately? Keith Gavin is in Virginia now. I'm pretty sure Kyle having Tervel and Bergman as work out partners is a huge factor in his success and that they matter more than having Rex Holman or Mitch Clark around.

Being a head coach of a college sport is often more about recruiting and management. I don't see why he couldn't be a top coach if Snyder ends up with just 1 All-American finish and a bunch of international medals.

It's the same reason guys like Cejudo and Justin Lester would have difficulty coaching college.  How do you convince kids to join your program when you yourself decided it wasn't best for your own development?  Also, the recruiting pull might not be as big as guys like Taylor, Dake, Stieber, etc, who were on ESPN for a number of years and in the minds of the younger wrestlers.  Other than Burroughs, there isn't a freestyle wrestler with too big of a following, and part of JB's popularity was the momentum from winning the Hodge.  ESPN plays more a role than we would like to admit.

He would likely fit right into coaching at the RTC someday though.  He tervel and Tommy could be kinda like the USA's heavyweight training spot, though Cael and a few others have a ton to offer as well. 

If he wants to be a freestyle RTC coach or USAW coach, then yeah, that's fine.  I just don't think those are the best/most influential coaching positions int he country.  How much credit is given to Lou Roselli vs Tom Ryan (I know Roselli gets a lot of credit, especially from those close to the program, but there's no doubt Ryan is the leader in Columbus)?

Do you really think the teenagers of today grew up watching Rob Koll or Tom Ryan? What about Zeke Jones? I agree ESPN is a factor and Cael is a superstar recruiter, as Dake and Taylor or Burroughs would be, but it isn't essential. 

Seems like you love discussing wrestling history, nothing is wrong with that, but I highly doubt Mark Kerr or Mark Coleman are going to work out with Snyder. Have you seen them lately? Keith Gavin is in Virginia now. I'm pretty sure Kyle having Tervel and Bergman as work out partners is a huge factor in his success and that they matter more than having Rex Holman or Mitch Clark around.

Of course Kerr and Coleman aren't physically going to help Kyle.  I don't even know what Kerr is doing anymore, but you can bet Coleman will give Kyle advice on preparing for the mental side of this game.  I wasn't sure about Gavin, but I know for a fact that Pucillo is around.  Tervel is around, Tommy is around and JD is around. Not sure what Randleman is up to, but you don't find it fascinating that that many huge American studs, that also often do MMA are wondering around Columbus?  You find the weirdest stuff to attack in one's posts Manyak.

If he wants to be a freestyle RTC coach or USAW coach, then yeah, that's fine.  I just don't think those are the best/most influential coaching positions int he country.  How much credit is given to Lou Roselli vs Tom Ryan (I know Roselli gets a lot of credit, especially from those close to the program, but there's no doubt Ryan is the leader in Columbus)?

I'm not really sure what you are trying to get at here. He seems to be doing well and repeatedly mentioned how happy he was in Columbus and OSU and the RTC.  There really isn't much else to worry about other than getting ready for this World Championships, then the Olympics, then getting his first NCAA title.  If I am him I worry about one thing at a time.  

Edited by Fishhook

I think the cut may be a bigger factor than people realize. Pulling down to 197 for 15+ weigh-ins is pretty damn hard especially when you see how big he is wrestling 213 for freestyle.

Why kill yourself all winter for multiple weighins when you can make money on the freestyle circuit while still getting an education. I highly doubt he is on a full ride anyway. Get a gold medal in Rio and put some of that cash towards your education. 

I think the cut may be a bigger factor than people realize. Pulling down to 197 for 15+ weigh-ins is pretty damn hard especially when you see how big he is wrestling 213 for freestyle.

Why kill yourself all winter for multiple weighins when you can make money on the freestyle circuit while still getting an education. I highly doubt he is on a full ride anyway. Get a gold medal in Rio and put some of that cash towards your education. 

OSu will allow hi skip mid year meets that don't matter in the big scheme of things though.  You do bring up a good point; though, he seems pretty adamant about winning numerous NCAA titles.