Buckxell

NLWC and funding

Espinal had an absolute gift draw at the Olympics. His toughest opponent before the finals was Mashgarvilli who is known for spectacular collapses. Espinal wrestled the tournament of his life, beat him and won a silver medal.

I just read the Wikipedia page for Espinal... If that is accurate, that is an amazing story!! He wrestled from age of 9 to about 15 for the same club as Franklin Gomez and then quit wrestling. He went to college and didn't wrestle in college and took up breakdancing. He went back to wrestling in his mid twenties and won Olympic silver 2 years later!!

Espinal and Humphrey should have a dance off. 

Why isn't there a senior-level freestyle club based out of Puerto Rico? Some of our second- and third- best guys could establish residency down there, train, and compete for medals.

Since the island is on the verge of declaring bankruptcy and is experiencing a decent population exodus, I'm not sure it's a great time to be considering that idea.

i like the Alex Dolly move. Using Irish ancestry to wrestle for team Ireland.

Ireland allows up to third generation removed from the island to still apply for citizenship, and Alex's grandfather came from Ireland to America (born on the boat over if I recall). So his aunt made sure they applied him for dual citizenship when he was born. Ireland's Wrestling Association usually only has funding to sponsor one guy to attend over seas qualification events and Alex in the past has proven to them that he was the best shot they had for that. The associations hope is word of him qualifying for event like the World and Olympics will inspire the youth of the country to participate more in wrestling.

Ireland allows up to third generation removed from the island to still apply for citizenship, and Alex's grandfather came from Ireland to America (born on the boat over if I recall). So his aunt made sure they applied him for dual citizenship when he was born. Ireland's Wrestling Association usually only has funding to sponsor one guy to attend over seas qualification events and Alex in the past has proven to them that he was the best shot they had for that. The associations hope is word of him qualifying for event like the World and Olympics will inspire the youth of the country to participate more in wrestling.

cool, appreciate the info.

Dake and Taylor should start researching their family tree. maybe they can use their sponsorship money to pay the way and qualify for the olympics.

if Chris Kamen can play for the German basketball team because of his great-grandparents then there is potentially a lot of countries that back up US wrestlers could represent. 

Espinal had an absolute gift draw at the Olympics. His toughest opponent before the finals was Mashgarvilli who is known for spectacular collapses. Espinal wrestled the tournament of his life, beat him and won a silver medal.

And he still has an Olympic silver medal. I'd proudly take one no matter how much of a gift it was.

(guy who never won an Olympic silver medal)

The snarky comment isn't needed. I'm not trying to put down the guy or his incredible achievement. That would be stupid. I'm trying to provide some context as to why his Olympic medal stands out among his other results.

Since the island is on the verge of declaring bankruptcy and is experiencing a decent population exodus, I'm not sure it's a great time to be considering that idea.

If the club is funded I'm not sure why that would matter. 

So the Yankees and Dodgers shouldnt be paying for players outside of the U.S. either?

A more accurate analogy would have been to ask if the Yankees and Dodgers should pay for players outside of the U.S. to play for another major league team. And the answer is of course they shouldn't/wouldn't. Again, I would have no problem with the NLWC funding Gomez and Espinal if they wrestled for the U.S. I'm feeling patriotic today.

A more accurate analogy would have been to ask if the Yankees and Dodgers should pay for players outside of the U.S. to play for another major league team. And the answer is of course they shouldn't/wouldn't. Again, I would have no problem with the NLWC funding Gomez and Espinal if they wrestled for the U.S. I'm feeling patriotic today.

the Yankees and the Dodgers pay for many players that compete for other countries in the World Baseball Classic (and the olympics when baseball was a sport). soccer is the same way. the US men's team is coached by a German who implores Americans to play overseas, specifically for European clubs. 

re: PR, it's not an independent state but it's also not part of the United States of America. whether they are their own country or not depends on who you ask and on semantics. many Scots and Catalonians would say they live in separate nations or countries then their fellow Brits and Spaniards.

Happy Independence Day everyone!

the Yankees and the Dodgers pay for many players that compete for other countries in the World Baseball Classic (and the olympics when baseball was a sport). soccer is the same way. the US men's team is coached by a German who implores Americans to play overseas, specifically for European clubs.

re: PR, it's not an independent state but it's also not part of the United States of America. whether they are their own country or not depends on who you ask and on semantics. many Scots and Catalonians would say they live in separate nations or countries then their fellow Brits and Spaniards.

Happy Independence Day everyone!

That's a good point about baseball/soccer comparison... Never thought of it that way.

The NLWC is fully funded by donations, etc. and receives no money from USA Wrestling of the USA government so this entire thread is moot.

I don't think it's a moot point at all. I still think it's an interesting point that NLWC is doing something that no other U.S. based wrestling club (or arguably any club in the world) is doing in funding wrestlers not competing for their country... And they lost one of their best wrestlers to another club. It seems most U.S. based clubs align their goals with USA wrestling which is to win medals for our country, while NLWC is taking a different approach with the goal of just winning medals. Edited by Buckxell

NLWC is privately funded and can do whatever it wants. End of story. 

As a separate idea, Puerto Rico is part of the US. It has no independent authority to conduct foreign affairs. It has no independent government or army. (It's head of state is Obama.) Puerto Ricans are US citizens. It is as much a part of the US as the US Virgin Islands and Guam. 

As a second separate idea, I actually like the idea of training with guys who compete for other national Olympic committees. For example, I think we could learn a lot from Cuban wrestlers and coaches. Why not have exchanges with them? If both sides benefit from an exchange, I don't see what the objection would be.

Edited by Katie

NLWC is privately funded and can do whatever it wants. End of story.

As a separate idea, Puerto Rico is part of the US. It has no independent authority to conduct foreign affairs. It has no independent government or army. (It's head of state is Obama.) Puerto Ricans are US citizens. It is as much a part of the US as the US Virgin Islands and Guam.

As a second separate idea, I actually like the idea of training with guys who compete for other national Olympic committees. For example, I think we could learn a lot from Cuban wrestlers and coaches. Why not have exchanges with them? If both sides benefit from an exchange, I don't see what the objection would be.

Yes, NLWC can do whatever they want.. That doesn't mean everyone has to be a fan of it. As far as training with others as you mentioned, I agree 100% and think it could only help.

"... the goal of just winning medals"

Or developing wrestlers to their full potential regardless of nationality? Cool.

True. But here's a hypothetical question. If you could trade Gomez and Espinals funding and retain Ed Ruth at NLWC to train full time (100% wrestling) would you do it?