Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Taylor was Wrestling Blindfolded against Dake

Pick up the action at the 1:10 (left) mark in the first period.  Score is still 0-0, then Taylor's contact comes out and he doesn't put it back in.  Then all hell breaks loose.

That explains everything!!!!!!!!

Edited by Angry_Fish

I hate to admit it, but I don't ever see DT getting past Dake, let alone Burroughs.  Taylor has not shown the mental capability to win those matches. He definitely has the skill set, but I don't think he has the mental toughness to win the big matches.  Dake and Burroughs have that part of the game, but some people never get it.

This is not a jab at DT, he is my favorite wrestler to watch.

Edited by wiedsworld

Would have to agree.  That Dake loss was bad bad.  It's crazy because watching similar opponents I would give the edge to DT over Dake but Dake is able to turn it up that extra notch and DT hasn't.  DT needs Howe to take out Dake.  Only chance he's got IMO.  And then find a way to beat JB.  Not great odds there but I think DT beats JB before he beats Dake.

The mental aspect has something do do with it but now I think it's more about style. Taylor has a tremendously offensive style with a lot of variety against 99% of the world. But against the top 1%, he just doesn't have the arsenal to pull away. His offense against JB and Dake is predictable. He always sets up his ankle picks (and occasionally hi-c's) the same way, he is uncomfortable in a tie-up situation other than his bread-and-butter collar tie, and he isn't athletic enough to hold off a late surge by either JB or Dake.

He is an awesome wrestler I enjoy watching and one of our best pound for pound. But he is stuck behind two guys who are even more talented. It's an incredible shame.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I can't remember, who did he torch that he wasn't expected to torch?

Your question kind of says a lot, doesn't it?  I don't think you can deny what he is capable of.  Taking out Howe is no small feat.  And he's done it three times now.  He seems to have a mental block against Dake and Burroughs is..Buroughs.  Not saying Dake isn't better but Taylor looks better against everyone not named Dake.  Including Burroughs and Howe.

I hate to admit it, but I don't ever see DT getting past Dake, let alone Burroughs.  Taylor has not shown the mental capability to win those matches. He definitely has the skill set, but I don't think he has the mental toughness to win the big matches.  Dake and Burroughs have that part of the game, but some people never get it.

This is not a jab at DT, he is my favorite wrestler to watch.

When was the last time a 2x NCAA champ was accused of not having the mental toughness to win the big match? Is this like one of those posts trying to determine who the worst 4x NCAA champ is?

Would have to agree. That Dake loss was bad bad. It's crazy because watching similar opponents I would give the edge to DT over Dake but Dake is able to turn it up that extra notch and DT hasn't. DT needs Howe to take out Dake. Only chance he's got IMO. And then find a way to beat JB. Not great odds there but I think DT beats JB before he beats Dake.

Now that Dake is back DT will probably never get a shot at JB, DT has no shot right now at beating JB he's on his game

Edited by CaliWrestler

When was the last time a 2x NCAA champ was accused of not having the mental toughness to win the big match? Is this like one of those posts trying to determine who the worst 4x NCAA champ is?

He may have enough confidence in himself to beat inferior competition, but he doesn't have the confidence and mental fortitude to beat the best two at his weight class.  There is definitely a difference in his attitude when he wrestles Dake and he gets down on himself when things are not going his way.  In comparison, it never seems as if JB is out of a match and mentally he is always in it, he is a closer. He is able to get the tough points when he needs them.

@wiedsworld great points. Psychologically, it seems that David Taylor can be his own worst competition. During the WTT, he appeared to grow increasingly lethargic, slow to get back to the line, restart, and get back into the match with Kyle Dake. We saw the same in the NCAA finals vs. Dake, where it looked like DT sort of stopped trying from bottom. 

I mean, credit to Dake for being so defensively stingy and dangerous that he breaks his opponents mentally, but I'm still a huge huge Taylor fan and believe he has the technique, athleticism, and mat smarts to win those big matches. I hope he gets over this mental hump.

Makes me also wonder how someone like Andrew Howe works through what could be confidence-shaking losses to Dake, Taylor, and JB (or maybe Perry in college).

He may have enough confidence in himself to beat inferior competition, but he doesn't have the confidence and mental fortitude to beat the best two at his weight class.  There is definitely a difference in his attitude when he wrestles Dake and he gets down on himself when things are not going his way.  In comparison, it never seems as if JB is out of a match and mentally he is always in it, he is a closer. He is able to get the tough points when he needs them.

Or they're just better at this point. It happens.

Completely agree with wrestlingnerd; Taylor's style, and I think even moreso his body-type, undo him against Burroughs and Dake.  He has a similar build to B. Saitiev, who also notoriously struggled with (at least one) explosive attackers.  That's a lot of leg to defend, and his hips/core/torso, while brilliant positionally, can't overpower these guys.  Honestly, with Ruth and Herbert likely done after this Olympic cycle, he would fit fine up a weight.  That is a lot of squats to gain 20+ pounds though. Taylor has been my favorite wrestler to watch for years, and he has a mental game and training attitude on par with probably anyone else besides Burroughs and Dake, but they honestly are two of the best 'gamers' I've ever seen.

Taylor's awesome, and usually always puts on a clinic in his victories. A favorite of the fans.

Dake is just that good. The 4x NCAA thing was no fluke. Another favorite of the fans.

And The Champ, already legendary and still going strong. Probably, my favorite wrestler - have a few. Keep seeing gold Jordan!   

Maybe it is fair to say JB and Dake are just consistently getting better at the same rate as Taylor? I've thought the mental part of it, as well, but it's not like these guys are pushovers.

I think WrestlingNerd made a great point above. For my money, I'll always pick the guy winning 5-0 over the guy winning 14-6 (steady and hard to break through vs offensive juggernaut who might make a mistake or two). I know Dake doesn't get scored on a ton, but JB and Dake have been able to overcome holes vs him in the past, whereas they don't let Taylor back in the match. Heck, JB doesn't let ANYONE back in, and Dake only lets JB back in!

Completely agree with wrestlingnerd; Taylor's style, and I think even moreso his body-type, undo him against Burroughs and Dake.  He has a similar build to B. Saitiev, who also notoriously struggled with (at least one) explosive attackers.  That's a lot of leg to defend, and his hips/core/torso, while brilliant positionally, can't overpower these guys.  Honestly, with Ruth and Herbert likely done after this Olympic cycle, he would fit fine up a weight.  That is a lot of squats to gain 20+ pounds though. Taylor has been my favorite wrestler to watch for years, and he has a mental game and training attitude on par with probably anyone else besides Burroughs and Dake, but they honestly are two of the best 'gamers' I've ever seen.

An interesting post.

Taylor (with a little more sand in his britches) up against the overpowering parterre of Sadulaev … USA! USA!