Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Taylor was Wrestling Blindfolded against Dake

My daughter is at the OTC, and said that Taylor was there working with the Greco guys, and not freestyle. Is he considering a switch, or just trying for find some kind of new edge? Or do the guys from both teams work with each other on a regular basis?

You know it does takes a lot of upper body control to rangle a wild unicorn.

I think GNQ is onto something. Taylor should go up a weight and simply not wrestle JB or Dake for a while. He needs a mental reset so that when he comes back down to 74kg it's like for the very first time.

And while this may be a bad idea it wouldn't be the first time. The 1982 world freestyle championships bronze medalist at 82kg was ... Dave Schultz. 

An 80ish kg weight for non Olympic years should be at the top if the agenda, and with a 54 kg Greco weight. That gap is disgraceful.

Mental toughness is such an inflammatory term. It sounds like we are sttacking someone's character for losing a wrestling match to a superior opponent. What I would say is that Taylor has made costly mistakes or appeared frustrated in big matches in the past. Improving on the tactical side of things would benefit him.

I think GNQ is onto something. Taylor should go up a weight and simply not wrestle JB or Dake for a while. He needs a mental reset so that when he comes back down to 74kg it's like for the very first time.

And while this may be a bad idea it wouldn't be the first time. The 1982 world freestyle championships bronze medalist at 82kg was ... Dave Schultz. 

Mental rest?  He just took a year off.  I think he needs to start thinking about finding a different coach.  He accomplished a lot under Cale but I think he has maxed out.  Myabe Brands or Zeke or someone can tap in parts of his potential that Cael can't get to.  Not a knock on Cael, just a thought that someone else may be a help to him.

Mental rest?  He just took a year off.  I think he needs to start thinking about finding a different coach.  He accomplished a lot under Cale but I think he has maxed out.  Myabe Brands or Zeke or someone can tap in parts of his potential that Cael can't get to.  Not a knock on Cael, just a thought that someone else may be a help to him.

There's a possibility that DT's ability is maxed out not necessarily due to coaching.  He tf'd a multiple world level medalist at BTS.  He's beaten Howe 3x, it's not like he's struggling.  JB, Dake and DT may be 3 of the top 5 wrestlers in the world at their weight.  Just happen to all be in the US.  Also, Howe is probably top 10 in the world.  Just may be plain bad luck.  Its happened before.  Schultz, Monday, Koll all in the same weight.  Plus doesn't look like the coaching change has helped Ruth as of yet.  If anything its hurt him in short term.  Stick with what got you there.  DT isn't out of it yet.

Head shuck, I finally watched the match.

I got the impression that Taylor spent too much time just hanging out in that collar tie, not threatening. If he likes that position he needs to make Dake uncomfortable; head snaps, angles, feints and so on. Force Dake to move with him. Instead he's kind of standing there while Dake sets up his shots.

Not pretending I have all the answers. Taylor has very smart people coaching him, it's not like they don't game plan. That's just what I noticed, same as Varner sometimes. Lots of time just hanging out in the tie without much purposeful action. If you're wrestling an opponent you already struggle up score on, that's an issue.

JB, Dake and DT may be 3 of the top 5 wrestlers in the world at their weight.  Just happen to all be in the US.  

That's just being a homer thinking that those 3 are the top 5.  After DT lost to Tsargush, he was handled pretty easily by a Russian that had moved up from 70 Kilo.  I think Dake is in the top 6-8, but DT

We put to much emphasis on exhibition wins, the other countries get to come to the US and have a good time, they are not worried about peaking for an exhibition, they peak when it matters.  Just look at Metcalf's results.  I also don't think other teams peak for the world dual tournament.

Edited by wiedsworld

That's just being a homer thinking that those 3 are the top 5.  After DT lost to Tsargush, he was handled pretty easily by a Russian that had moved up from 70 Kilo.  I think Dake is in the top 6-8, but DT

We put to much emphasis on exhibition wins, the other countries get to come to the US and have a good time, they are not worried about peaking for an exhibition, they peak when it matters.  Just look at Metcalf's results.  I also don't think other teams peak for the world dual tournament.

Well, maybe a little homer-ish but I look at it this way:  Howe finished runner-up at Yarigin and should have won by all accounts.  That supposedly is the toughest tournament in the world.  Howe is clearly the 4th ranked guy behind JB, Dake and Taylor.  Also, Dake has a win over Tsargush and DT tech fall'd that high level Cuban.  And that wasn't just any 70kg guy that bumped up.  So not too far off that they are top 5.  

Rankings: for me it's

1; Burroughs 2: Geduev 3: Tsargush 4: Japan (forget name).5: Lopez (he's been too good for too long to drop far with one exhibition loss).

After that I haven't really been following what the tough Europeans and Iranians have been doing. A tentative case for Dake as #6 could probably be made.

That's rankings. In terms of ability I think he would win a world medal if he went; not necessarily gold though. Geduev is really good.

Taylor is further down; not sure if a lower top 10 ranking is justified.