Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Also down the ladder?

Due partially to Taylor's huge fan base, we hear so much lamenting over his struggle. So who else is incredibly gifted and stuck behind a couple guys?

Oliver has made it through an extremely deep field at 65KG three times in a row now (2 Trials and 1 US Open) only to go 0-5 against Metcalf.  He's been competitive in some bouts but hasn't been able to get it done.

Along the way way he has beaten Russell, Kennedy, Molinaro, and Stieber, as well as some lower tier guys like Chamberlain and Ness, but no dice against the old man.

first off, let me say that

1) the concept of this thread is cool

and

2) most responses are terrible or 'stretching it'

AF - I freakin love Metcalf. But JO is like my blood. i say this not as consolation (ok, it makes me a little happy)....

although the finals were not close, JO has distanced himself from the rest of 65.

what does that get JO? idk. but he sure looked head and shoulders better than anyone not named Brent.

i think that was the point of Headshuck's topic.

Also - Andrew Howe was a Yarygin Champ (except for a bum call). One lopsided match against Dake (who's beaten Tsargush) and y'all drop the hammer.

it's one match.

Edited by Husker_Du

AF - I freakin love Metcalf. But JO is like my blood. i say this not as consolation (ok, it makes me a little happy)....

although the finals were not close, JO has distanced himself from the rest of 65.

I'm a big fan of JO too, but there are some concerns.

1. JK was not fully healthy and JO only beat him 2-2.

2. JO has yet to face Pico, although I am sure he would handle him this year.  We'll see where Pico is by next year.

3. JO may only have one more shot to get the job done before going into the cage.  Not sure he can hold off the rest of the field AND beat BM in 10 months time.  Hope so, but I am skeptical.

response

1. C'mon. JO was playing it safe. watch the details. Kennedy, who i think is crazy good, can't go with JO at 65.

2. stop it.

3.true. but not too concerned about it being the end. and not concerned about holding off the field. no one touches JO before Brent. I couldn't have said that before madison. i can say that now. no other 65 was remotely on his level.

65kg... this is Metcalf's year... super possibility of a medal, and we can only hope he follows through!  In terms of the weight class and studs who are down the ladder...

JO:  Already discussed above at length... if he doesn't make the 2016 team, i predict he bails on FS, and goes MMA all the way.

Stieber:  A gap exists this year, but I predict that Stieber closes said gap in time for the 2016 cycle.  Wrestling FS full time from this point forward, there's one thing that this guy has proven, even after taking tough losses... he finds a way to win when it counts.  I predict he topples JO next year, meets Metcalf in Finals, and gives him a set of 3 matches that will go down as epic.  Not saying he'll win, but it will be epic.  I also think Stieber sticks around long enough for the next cycle, so we'll see ~4-5 more years of his climb.  

Pico:  As a shock to the world, he grows into 74kg, runs into the 74kg gauntlet, and realizes that his skills are fantastic... but... there's 5-6 guys right now at 74kg that can shake things up in a big way... ahem... Valencia, Hall are now added to that list... 

Lee Fullhart makes the list.

Internationally, Open Sat in Russia. One if my favorites Geduev has won almost everything but in the last few years at Nationals he's been injured, injured (and beating up the world team member), got horribly screwed over vs Adam Saitiev, and list by clinches in the final. He will get his chance this year.

Pico:  As a shock to the world, he grows into 74kg, runs into the 74kg gauntlet, and realizes that his skills are fantastic... but... there's 5-6 guys right now at 74kg that can shake things up in a big way... ahem... Valencia, Hall are now added to that list... 

I agree this happens.  Not sure if it is in '16 or beyond, but his frame seems too long for 65 as he gets a little older.

Edited by Angry_Fish

I'm not going to be surprised if we see Stieber to go down to 61 in '17 or '18 if he is not able to make headway at 65.  But things may fall is way...If Metcalf Medals and retires, Oliver goes MMA, Pico can't hold 65 and JK goes back down to 61 after '16...65 might open up for Stieber.....But if (most of) those guys stay at 65, I can see LS dropping down.

response

1. C'mon. JO was playing it safe. watch the details. Kennedy, who i think is crazy good, can't go with JO at 65.

2. stop it.

3.true. but not too concerned about it being the end. and not concerned about holding off the field. no one touches JO before Brent. I couldn't have said that before madison. i can say that now. no other 65 was remotely on his level.

response

2. stop it.

You don't think Pico or Kennedy can "go" with JO?  Russell has at least one win over JO.  I think Pico will be the #2 next year and will battle with all of these guys including Metcalf.  Retherford was able to "go" with JO and we've seen what Pico has done to Retherford.  JO is very very good and I will say he looked great against Stieber (maybe some added incentive there).  But I think these trials may have taken some wind out of his sails and DT's as well.  We'll see how they bounce back.  Will be fun to watch.

You don't think Pico or Kennedy can "go" with JO?  Russell has at least one win over JO.  I think Pico will be the #2 next year and will battle with all of these guys including Metcalf.  Retherford was able to "go" with JO and we've seen what Pico has done to Retherford.  JO is very very good and I will say he looked great against Stieber (maybe some added incentive there).  But I think these trials may have taken some wind out of his sails and DT's as well.  We'll see how they bounce back.  Will be fun to watch.

ZR's matches with JO were not competitive (yet).

As for the Stieber "incentive", at this point I think that is more in the fans' heads than JO's head.  JO has wrestled him 4x now.  He beat LS handily 2x; beat him in a close bout 1x and then the NCAA finals debacle.  JO has taken the high road on more than one occasion about the whole NCAA finals controversy -- crediting LS as the champ and asking his own supporters to move on from the issue.  If JO is personally motivated by anyone right now it is BM, not LS.  In fact, I suspect JK and AP provide more personal motivation as he is a collective 1-0 against the two of them in his career.  If he has something to prove against the field, it is against these guys.

Even Russell is more of a nemesis to JO than LS.  While JO has finished higher than KR in the last 3 tourney's they entered, including 2 head-to-head wins, he does have two losses to him as well.  I think his is 2-2 against him lifetime, but apologize if I missed any earlier bouts.

But I still think BM is his personal motivation, not anyone in the rest of the field.

As for the Stieber "incentive", at this point I think that is more in the fans' heads than JO's head. 

But I still think BM is his personal motivation, not anyone in the rest of the field.

Totally agree. JO has eclipsed Logie Bear and has his sights set higher. Olympic team or bust. Metcalf is in his way and that is where he is focused.

Logie Bear has not lived up to the potential he showed when he beat Opan Sat.