Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Also down the ladder?

Totally agree. JO has eclipsed Logie Bear and has his sights set higher. Olympic team or bust. Metcalf is in his way and that is where he is focused.

Logie Bear has not lived up to the potential he showed when he beat Opan Sat. 

He has another year to get freestyle ready and, more importantly, put on some size.  65kg will be insane at the trials next year.  Stieber, Pico, Russell and Kennedy can all push Oliver to the edge.

ZR's matches with JO were not competitive (yet).

As for the Stieber "incentive", at this point I think that is more in the fans' heads than JO's head.  JO has wrestled him 4x now.  He beat LS handily 2x; beat him in a close bout 1x and then the NCAA finals debacle.  JO has taken the high road on more than one occasion about the whole NCAA finals controversy -- crediting LS as the champ and asking his own supporters to move on from the issue.  If JO is personally motivated by anyone right now it is BM, not LS.  In fact, I suspect JK and AP provide more personal motivation as he is a collective 1-0 against the two of them in his career.  If he has something to prove against the field, it is against these guys.

Even Russell is more of a nemesis to JO than LS.  While JO has finished higher than KR in the last 3 tourney's they entered, including 2 head-to-head wins, he does have two losses to him as well.  I think his is 2-2 against him lifetime, but apologize if I missed any earlier bouts.

But I still think BM is his personal motivation, not anyone in the rest of the field.

We (US fans) still put most weight on NCAA titles and Stieber has 4 of them.  Also, their last 2 matches before trials came down to last second TD's and they split wins.  They're pretty close.  Oliver looked a little more motivated for that match than he did against JK or BM.  Just one man's opinion.

Edited by LongShot

Truthfully, Stieber focused so hard on folkstyle, I think it hindered his development in free.  He's also short for 65k.  The next year will show a lot.  Can he improve significantly as a freestyler?  He's a former Jr World Silver Medalist only losing to an Olympic Gold.  He's beaten guys like Sat and won at least one international event.  I think the talent's there but wonder if he can adjust to the size difference?

Willie,

While JO is amazing, I'd prefer you spend more time working on Flowrestling and less time man-crushing on the forums. I sent in several petitions about broken videos that the staff has yet to resolve. Obviously, I can't give you anymore information than that lest I reveal my true identity, but I assure you I am a paying customer and thusfore your boss. 

Sincerely, 

Indignant on the Internet. 

Bravo GT.

you're a very good troll. for a second that got under my skin, haha.

do you remember the email you sent your 'petitions' to? 

i don't head up the video fixin' department. and frankly idk what you're talking about. but maybe i can put someone on it.

thanks boss.

also - can you teach WildTurkey44 some things about trolling? he's horrible at it.

Tom Erickson was clearly one of those guys who just couldn't move past Big Bruce... and then Kerry McCoy came along.

Randy Lewis, once John Smith came on the scene.

John Fisher would be another guy to mention in the same breath as Lewis.

Dave Schultz, to a degree, once Kenny Monday came on the scene.

Brands/Cross - Cross bookends Brands' two World Championships in three years with trips to Barcelona and Atlanta, including an Olympic gold.

Countless Russians/Soviets, some we've heard of, most whose names we'll never know. The same probably goes for the Iranians.

Bravo GT.

you're a very good troll. for a second that got under my skin, haha.

do you remember the email you sent your 'petitions' to? 

i don't head up the video fixin' department. and frankly idk what you're talking about. but maybe i can put someone on it.

thanks boss.

also - can you teach WildTurkey44 some things about trolling? he's horrible at it.

I filled out a "Contact Form" on the support tab about at least one (can't remember) videos that don't play on multiple browsers and machines. Hopefully, if this does reveal my secret identity, you'll do the right thing and allow me to operate as the troll that this forum deserves. 

After watching the WTT's on you tube and looking at some of the posts on this thread, it does seem to me that in every weight class we have guys that have some decisions to make, like Do they continue, Do they change weight classes, (Maybe Dake to 70?), Do guys go to MMA, do guys take a break, or do some say is it time to just call it a career. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

After watching the WTT's on you tube and looking at some of the posts on this thread, it does seem to me that in every weight class we have guys that have some decisions to make, like Do they continue, Do they change weight classes, (Maybe Dake to 70?), Do guys go to MMA, do guys take a break, or do some say is it time to just call it a career. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

I think most decisions will be deferred until after the olympics. Certainly Dake and Taylor have bright futures in coaching after their through competing.