Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Dake discussion

How about the number of NCAA titles? Or the number of Hodge winner's they beat? Of the number of championships their finals opponents won? Or who red shirted and who didn't? 

Accuse me of hating Burrough's but I never said Dake was better than him in International wrestling. On the other hand all the goalpost moving on earth will not change the fact that Dake had a far superior college career. It would be like me saying that Dake is better in freestyle regardless of what Burroughs has accomplished. 

counting hodge trophies i get the same number too. 

the only really big disparity i see in their careers is freestyle accomplishments. but maybe i'm just Dake hating. 

I thoroughly enjoy the logic that a wrestler who wins as a freshman is always better than fellow champion wrestlers as a senior. No college wrestler has been a better wrestler, folkstyle or otherwise, than JB as a senior.

Thought Taylor had more dominant years. But he lost to Dake too.

Edited by straggler

Thought Taylor had more dominant years. But he lost to Dake too.

I think you focus way too much on NCAA performances. NCAA competition is a national pool of teenage and early-twenties young men who wrestle part-time. It's not a reliable measuring stick for senior-level freestyle -- a worldwide pool of adult wrestlers who wrestle full time.

Not all NCAA champs are made the same. Despite there being ten NCAA champs every year, only four NCAA wrestlers have ever won an NCAA title and world title in the same year. JB is one of those guys. 

Edited by Katie

This topic is now officially stupid.

Dake had the better folkstyle career. Anyone who disputes this is a moron.

JB has the better freestyle career, and it's not even remotely close. Anyone who disputes this is a bigger moron.

JB is better than Dake right now in freestyle. Anyone who disputes this deserves to never post again.

Whether or not Dake can narrow the gap in the future is completely unknowable and anyone who thinks they know should be tied to a barrel naked and caned for a few hours.

Let's move on and root for JB as the American representative on Team USA to win Gold in Las Vegas!

This topic is now officially stupid.

Dake had the better folkstyle career. Anyone who disputes this is a moron.

JB has the better freestyle career, and it's not even remotely close. Anyone who disputes this is a bigger moron.

JB is better than Dake right now in freestyle. Anyone who disputes this deserves to never post again.

Whether or not Dake can narrow the gap in the future is completely unknowable and anyone who thinks they know should be tied to a barrel naked and caned for a few hours.

Let's move on and root for JB as the American representative on Team USA to win Gold in Las Vegas!

Why all the anger and violent fantasy?

How about the number of NCAA titles? Or the number of Hodge winner's they beat? Of the number of championships their finals opponents won? Or who red shirted and who didn't? 

Accuse me of hating Burrough's but I never said Dake was better than him in International wrestling. On the other hand all the goalpost moving on earth will not change the fact that Dake had a far superior college career. It would be like me saying that Dake is better in freestyle regardless of what Burroughs has accomplished. 

Was Dake good enough to win a world title the same year he graduated college? I know someone who was......

I think you focus way too much on NCAA performances. NCAA competition is a national pool of teenage and early-twenties young men who wrestle part-time. It's not a reliable measuring stick for senior-level freestyle -- a worldwide pool of adult wrestlers who wrestle full time.

Not all NCAA champs are made the same. Despite there being ten NCAA champs every year, only four NCAA wrestlers have ever won an NCAA title and world title in the same year. JB is one of those guys.

1) Burroughs 2) John Smith 3) Lee Kemp...& 4) Yojiro Uetake? (Olympics/NCAA). Are these the four or did you mean specifically the World's, therefore counting someone other than Uetake?

Edited by Ari Gold

Collegiate success is awesome and something to be proud of but NCAA success without international success does not make you a legend of the sport. 

If Burroughs and Dake were football players:

Dake would be Tim Tebow - One of the most successful college careers ever.  Little to no success in the NFL.

Burroughs would be Tom Brady - LEGEND

Which would you rather be?

1) Burroughs 2) John Smith 3) Lee Kemp...& 4) Yojiro Uetake? (Olympics/NCAA). Are these the four or did you mean specifically the World's, therefore counting someone other than Uetake?

Kemp, Smith ('87), Neal, and Burroughs won worlds the same year as NCAAs.

Uetake and Smith ('88) won the Olympics the same year as NCAAs.

Collegiate success is awesome and something to be proud of but NCAA success without international success does not make you a legend of the sport. 

If Burroughs and Dake were football players:

Dake would be Tim Tebow - One of the most successful college careers ever.  Little to no success in the NFL.

Burroughs would be Tom Brady - LEGEND

Which would you rather be?

Tebow, because he got more tail. Brady got good when he got married so he's been ball-and-chained for a long time.

Brady married Gisele eight years after his first Super Bowl, or put another way, five years after his third Super Bowl and second Super Bowl MVP.  Beforehand he dated Bridget Moynahan, complete smokeshow.  I'd take Brady over the Christian do gooder.  I jumped into this argument with two feet btw because the Dake-Burroughs argument has been getting so damn stupid.

Brady married Gisele eight years after his first Super Bowl, or put another way, five years after his third Super Bowl and second Super Bowl MVP.  Beforehand he dated Bridget Moynahan, complete smokeshow.  I'd take Brady over the Christian do gooder.  I jumped into this argument with two feet btw because the Dake-Burroughs argument has been getting so damn stupid.

I'm with you on the two feet, which is why I started the tangent.

I still think Brady with all that spotlight on him could not possibly have made the moves of a college guy with all those 18-22 year old Florida hotties around him all day and all night.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Was Dake good enough to win a world title the same year he graduated college? I know someone who was......

Different styles. Burroughs is perfectly suited for freestyle. Burroughs is very explosive and great in the neutral position. That is what freestyle values. It is comparatively one dimensional.