Sign in to follow this  
Zebra

I have a serious question

Why do we still have to buy association memberships? I know for years it was to ensure participants had insurance but with government mandated insurance we all now have to have it so what's the point of the memberships, or at least the insurance portion anyway?

I can see where somebody can say if you want to participate you need to join our "private club" but then shouldn't the associations drop the insurance portion and we just pay the "private club" portion?

Right now I am paying for three layers of insurance, two of which are never used.

Edited by Zebra

Why do we still have to buy association memberships? I know for years it was to ensure participants had insurance but with government mandated insurance we all now have to have it so what's the point of the memberships, or at least the insurance portion anyway?

I can see where somebody can say if you want to participate you need to join our "private club" but then shouldn't the associations drop the insurance portion and we just pay the "private club" portion?

Right now I am paying for three layers of insurance, two of which are never used.

Not to draw this into a non wrestling debate or answer your question but despite its goals the mandate does not guarantee all USAW participants have insurance.

USAW insurance does not replace your primary medical insurance, and if I recall correctly, it's specifically called out as "secondary insurance." As you might know, the minimum government mandated insurance plans don't cover 100% of expenses and may even have high deductibles. Many don't cover dental.

But more importantly, this insurance shields everyone from liability during practices, events, etc. What if a member accidentally injures a third party? General liability is a huge issue for anyone running an event or even volunteering at one. I'm not a lawyer, so you'll want to consult with the actual policies, but my point is that the insurance is broader than mandated health coverage.